chapter one

miami, floridafriday, june 17th8:56 p

miami, florida
friday, june 17th
8:56 p.m.

Hot Summer Nights.

The one night of the year where small bands get their chance in the spotlight. To be something. To possibly make it big. Usually, there's one out of the hundreds of bands that come here that make it. You just have to be good enough.

Money and fame. Everyone craves it. Desires it. Tonight is the one night to get it. It's glamorized into this godly thing that everyone seems to idolize.

Not me.

I'm more about the small things in life. The simple (but meaningful) things. You could ask me a million times if I'd rather live in a mansion with billions of dollars with dozens of connections at the click of a button, or live in a small cabin in the middle of the woods. Undisturbed, quiet. I'll always choose the second option.

Sure, everyone would love to have option one. I'd rather not have a camera shoved in my face every time I leave the house, but do what you please.

I pull down my sun visor to see the little cracker mirror. My reflection messed up, but still able to process. Black glittery eye makeup covers my eyelids. Also not my first choice. Eyeliner so straight and sharp it could cut something accompanies it. I like it. Lips, on the other hand, are a nude pink. I picked that out.

There's not a single blemish on my skin. Concealer covered anything up. I don't get the big deal with dressing up for this is. Girls come here in sweatpants and crop tops and call it a day. Nobody bats a eye.

But no. Sasha thinks it's lazy and unattractive. That's why I'm here sitting in a black slip dress in semi-old Doc Martens. I told her I wasn't showing a lot of skin tonight so I wore a old black-jean jacket that falls to where my dress ends. It was my dad's.

We aren't even preforming. Shit, we're just attending the event!

"You ready for this?" Sasha puts away her side of the sun visor and gives me a smirk.

Her hair is up in a slick ponytail and she's wearing this vibrant red dress with black heels. She looks hot. Sasha's makeup is a mix of red and orange. Kind of like fire. She is my fire. She keeps me on my toes and always scares me. In a good way.

I sigh and shake my head no. "I don't even want to be here. You know I have to study tonight."

College is kicking my ass right now. I shouldn't have taken a gap-year. I should've just but the bullet and started right away. Although, my break was needed for reasons I hate thinking about. Senior year was shit and I needed to get out of Florida as soon as I graduated.

I ended up going to stay with my parents up in Vermont for the year. Sasha dragged me back here without a choice. It worked out because everything is close. And by that I mean, campus is right around the corner from my apartment.