He nodded. "I'll have someone come by later. Axle rented a truck I think."

"he texted me about it. They should be here by 2, then he'll come over and fetch me."

"bella, I meant what I said. If anything goes wrong..."

"I know. I'll call you, or Matteo, or Lo. I promise."

"Matteo sent a postcard. He's in Iowa."

"gross, why?"

"girlfriend I think."

I nodded, and made my coffee. Papa chewed loudly on his toast which aggravated me. But he always did it, so I guess it just became normal. Even though I hated it.

"you promise you'll be okay here? You'll call if anything goes wrong?"

"of course. I'll be fine. At least I won't be alone." he said with a subtle smile on his face. It was 10am and Val was still asleep. I won't judge, I would be the same.

"I'll miss you, dad." I said. And held out my hand for him to hold.

He reached out for it. His aged, tattooed hands took mine. I smiled. "I'll miss you too bella. But I can't imagine anyone better for you. You're going to be happy." he said.

"I know. And also, thank you." I said, feeling all the emotions bubbling up.

"for what?"

"everything. My whole life. You didn't need to be both my mom and dad but you still were. You gave me everything my heart desired. Thank you." I uttered. My voice was trembling. Standing there in the kitchen, toast in one hand, I never felt more connected to my papa.

"enough tears." he said, and cleared his throat, blinking back the tears of his own. "everything is going to be fine. I love you, Katerina." he said.

I smiled. It was unfathomable how much my father loved me, but right now I could feel it. Something intangible, something the mind conjures up as a team with the heart. But now, I could feel it. "I love you too."

He hugged me, tightly. I felt all his tension release. He was happy.

He got a phone call and ignored it, but then it rang again. He told me he needed to take it, so he stepped outside.

I made my way back upstairs and checked my phone.

'can't wait to pick you up, cara mia. See you later.' Axle's name popped up in my messages. I felt my chest twinge with excitement.

'is it too late to get cold feet?'

The three dots stayed there.

'yes. Sending the truck a bit early. But don't rush.'

'I never do. Boxes are ready. See you later, roomie.'

I began to get ready, I showered, thinking of leaving my shower and my whole bedroom. I'd have to make some changes to Axle's room, which I knew he would hate.

I dried my hair for the last time in front of my vanity and then packed my hairdryer away. I got dressed in a white sweater with light blue jeans and black heeled boots.

It was already 1pm and the truck arrived.

"Mrs Kingston." the gentleman said. I smiled.

"not yet, but yes. Come in." I said, and another man came in.

I indicated which room and they began to bring my huge boxes down.

28 boxes later, the truck was full. The men left and I went back upstairs.