Twenty-eight

I woke up with something that felt like bricks thrown over my body

I woke up with something that felt like bricks thrown over my body. I couldn't move at first, and when my eyes adjusted, I saw that it was Axle's entire left arm thrown over my waist.

When I looked at his arm in his tight long-sleeved sleep shirt, I couldn't help but notice the dips in his biceps and the bumps of his muscles in his arm. I must admit, this was a very pleasant sight to wake up to.

When I lifted his hand, I noticed black ink running up his arm. I looked at it in shock, this man had a full sleeve. It was the first time I'd seen him in anything other than a suit.

I gently lifted his arm which felt like it weighed as much as I did. I made it to my feet, and I noticed that my stitches had torn from the weight of Axle's hand. I limped my way to the bathroom and followed all the doctors instructions.

Axle mumbles a lot in his sleep, and I could swear he was cursing. As I cleaned the blood off my stomach, I took a second to thank God I was still alive. Whatever happened might have been really bad but I couldn't move past the fact that I was alive, I was still able to walk.

I put the patch over the wound and made my way back, to lay next to the king of the Cosa Nostra. I sat upright and glanced around the room that I was in. I took in the dark grey curtains and black and white marble tiles in the room. The bed was massive, the sheets were grey and had splashes of white on them.

I took a deep breath and settled back into the bed, taking into cognisance I was in immense pain and it was only 8am.

I faced Axle and silently admired his features. I also thought that what we were doing was extremely inappropriate and I should go to confession.

What I'd say would probably be along the lines of sleeping in the same bed as a murderous, foul mouthed man being unmarried and liking every minute of it. Though I don't remember much after we spoke. I rubbed my forearm where he run his knuckles up. It felt like electricity running through my body.

I admired his dark thick lashes. And I loved the way his hair was mussed with sleep and left dark brown strands on his face. He had some stubble now, and I'd imagine him shaving when he left for work soon.

My mind darted to how they'd act now that they knew who did this to me. I want to call my papa, but I don't want to worry him.

I sighed and felt the heavy presence of this powerful man beside me. I don't think I would ever be in a safer place.

I watched his hand flex as he turned his body. His deep brown eyes opened and met with mine. His eyes are darker than mine, and they must've darkened over all the things he's seen and done over the years.

There was a slight breeze coming from somewhere, and seeing him in his sleepy state, the breeze made its way between my legs. I was filled with shame.

I should be sleeping in a guest room, or next to Aly. I wondered when she'll come and see me, or why she wasn't here in the first place.