𝑖

Deep in the Fields of Asphodel there is a thick ring of cypress trees through which the spirits of the dead may never pass. In the center of this grove stands a house, dark yet warm. Although the landscape around it is bleak, once you enter, the property seems to be deep in a misty mountain forest. A glassy lake borders an expansive and lush garden, and in the woods just beyond it lies a simple yet beautiful temple to Death.

It is through those trees, past that lake, and into that house Asphodel Tran walked one mid-June evening.

"Dad, I'm home," she called, kicking off her sneakers at the door. Padding across the hardwood floors in sock feet, she made her way to the kitchen where Thanatos himself stirred a pot of fragrant soup on the stove.

"Hello, my flower. Supper is almost ready."

Ash nodded and started to make a pot of tea, Death pressing a quick kiss to the top of her head as she set the kettle to boil. The smell of jasmine began to mix with that of bone broth, and soon the table was set, soup poured over noodles, and father and daughter sat to share a meal.

Pouring her dad a cup of tea, Ash sighed deeply before taking a sip of her own.

"How are you feeling about returning to camp?" Thanatos asked, picking up an ivory pair of chopsticks.

"Excited to see everyone again. Especially Percy. And Annabeth. But I have a feeling this summer isn't exactly going to be fun."

"Too right you are, unfortunately," the god murmured. Although he didn't need to eat in the slightest, he went through the motions of it to accompany his daughter. However he noticed she hadn't started yet and instead was staring into the depths of her bowl as if it was the Pit itself. Death had an inkling what might be on her mind.

"And do you believe this spring's training was successful?"

Ash idly spooned up some broth then let it drip back into her bowl. "In a way, yes, and in a way, no."

₪₪₪

Six weeks ago
"I think you're ready," Ash said as Nico flopped to the ground, panting. He'd just finished a fight against 10 skeletal soldiers.

"About damn time, Del," the boy grumbled, using his practice sword to hoist himself up.

About time indeed. Ash had begun teaching Nico to sword fight immediately after arriving in the Underworld in late January. Her first lesson consisted of him raising his own skeletal opponent from the dead. That took until Valentine's Day. Ash baked him two trays of dark chocolate brownies as a reward. For their next lesson, the older girl called upon the spirit of Achilles to give pointers.

"Come on," Ash beckoned, starting to walk out of the sparring arena and towards the gate of the palace garden.

"Now?" Nico asked, scrambling after her.

"No time like the present," she said, stretching her arms over her head and inhaling the sweet scent of pomegranate blossoms. They walked in companionable silence to a hut on the banks of the River Styx.

"Now you're going to forge your own sword," Ash told him. "And we'll see if you don't have a little control over metal too."

"Did you make your sword?" Nico asked, following her into the warm room where a skeleton pumped the bellows and the spirit of the great swordsmith Masamune awaited at her call.

"No," Ash replied. "Reaper was a gift from my father when I left home. During my training, I forged these daggers." She gestured to the Stygian iron weapons strapped to her waist.

While Nico worked to forge a three-foot-long sword, Ash sharpened her blades and added some carvings. She watched him hammer and temper it for hours, then helped to consecrate it in the River Styx. After that they sparred, no holds barred, and Nico put up a very good fight.