𝑥𝑖, aka percy poses for the gram

Blocking out the sounds of Annabeth and Percy bickering behind her, Ash focused on the feeling of Grover examining her burnt hand. By examining, she meant poking at the crispy skin and muttering to himself about what plants would work for a salve.

"I'll be fine, Grover," she finally said, retracting her arm. "Besides, it'll leave a pretty cool scar, huh?" She tucked her hands into the pocket of her sweatshirt.

Grover huffed in response, opening his mouth to probably say something mother-goat-like.

"Hey," she cut him off. "You still got your reed pipes?"

The satyr patted his pockets, eyes lighting up when he pulled out the instrument. He blew a couple of tinny notes on it and whooped in delight.

"They still work! If I could just remember a 'find path' song, we could get out of these woods!" 

He puffed out a few notes, but the tune sounded suspiciously like "Party in the USA." Immediately, Percy slammed into a tree, making Ash laugh so hard tears came to her eyes.

"Nice one, Grovey. Found him a path right to a concussion." Both boys pouted at her.

Thankfully, they only had to walk for about a mile or so before coming across a good-sized store with a glowing neon sign.

"What the heck does that say?" Percy asked, squinting at the bright letters.

Equally as dyslexic, Annabeth and Ash shrugged.

"Aunty Em's Garden Gnome Emporium," Grover translated.

"Come on," Percy said, starting towards it. "I smell food."

"Hey..." Grover warned.

"The lights are on inside," Annabeth said. "Maybe there's a snack bar."

"Snack bar," Percy agreed wistfully.

"Are you two crazy?" Grover asked, exchanging a worried look with Ash.

"Grover's right, guys," she backed him up. "This place has a weird vibe."

But they were very much ignored. Percy and Annabeth led them through a front lot filled with freaky little gnomes and statues.

"Don't knock," Ash pleaded as Annabeth raised her fist to do just that.

"I smell monsters," Grover chimed in desperately.

"Your nose is clogged up from the Furies," Annabeth told him. "All I smell is burgers. Aren't you hungry?"

"Meat!" He scorned. "I'm a vegetarian."

"You eat cheese enchiladas and aluminum cans," Percy reminded.

"Those are vegetables. Come on. Let's leave. These statues are... looking at me."

"I agree," Ash said, shuffling her feet. "Something feels... wrong. They're too...." she trailed off as she made eye contact with a statue inadvertently. "...lifelike." She shivered.

But before any of them could make a move, the door creaked open. A tall, elderly-looking woman stood in front of them. She wore a long black gown that covered everything but her hands, and her head was completely veiled. Red flag #1.

"Children, it is too late to be out all alone. Where are your parents?" she asked. Her accent was vaguely Middle Eastern.

"They're... um..." Annabeth started.

"We're orphans," Percy said.

"Orphans? But, my dears, surely not!"

"We got separated from our caravan," Percy continued. "Our circus caravan. And we got lost. Is that food I smell?"