𝑣𝑖𝑖𝑖

"You are in so much trouble," Clarisse said with a little too much gusto.

They'd just finished a ship tour they most definitely didn't want, surrounded by dead Confederate soldiers at every turn. They liked Annabeth because she was from Virginia and tolerated Percy even though he was a New Yorker because his last name was Jackson. But they absolutely loathed Ash, and trust me, being surrounded by angry zombies and a volatile child of Thanatos is not fun. First of all, the crew was hella racist, but also apparently hated being reminded that none of them got the peaceful deaths Ash's father stood for. It also didn't help that Ash kept threatening to send them back to the Underworld if they didn't shut up.

There was so much animosity in the air by the time they made it back to the upper deck that Tyson had taken to holding Annabeth's hand, which the girl did not look happy about. Clarisse, however, didn't seem to mind in the slightest. In fact, she looked like the cat who got the cream as they sat down to dinner.

"Tantalus expelled you for eternity," she continued smugly. "Mr. D said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV."

"Did they give you this ship?" Percy asked. If so, the favoritism was wild.

"'Course not. My father did," Clarisse sneered. "You think your daddy is the only one with sea power? I prayed to my father for naval transport and here it is. The spirits on the losing side of every war owe tribute to Ares. These guys will do anything I tell them. Won't you, Captain?"

The captain stood behind her looking stiff and angry. "If it means an end to this infernal war, ma'am, peace at last, we'll do anything."

"News flash," Ash spoke up. "The wars been over. You lost. And I'm 100% sure none of you racist assholes will ever find peace."

The zombie's glowing green eyes blazed in fury. "We would destroy anyone as well, my lady." He said pointedly, glaring at Ash. Tyson gulped but the girl just scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Destroy anyone," Clarisse repeated, smiling. "I like that."

"Clarisse," Annabeth said. "Luke might be after the Fleece, too. We saw him. He's got the coordinates and a cruise ship full of monsters–

"Good! I'll blow him out of the water."

"You don't understand." Annabeth shook her head. "We have to combine forces. Let us help you–"

"No!" Clarisse pounded the table. "This is my quest, Wise Girl! I get to be the hero, and you three will not steal my chance."

"Where are your cabin mates? You were allowed to take two people with you, weren't you?" Ash pointed out.

"They didn't... I let them stay behind. To protect the camp."

"You mean even the people in your own cabin wouldn't help you?" Percy asked.

"Shut up, Prissy! I don't need them! Or you!"

"Clarisse," he tried to appease. "Tantalus is using you. He'd love to see camp destroyed. He's setting you up to fail."

"No! I don't care what the Oracle–" she stopped herself.

"What?" Ash leaned forward. "What did the Oracle tell you?"

"Nothing." Clarisse's ears turned pink. "All you need to know is that I'm finishing this quest and you're not helping. On the other hand, I can't let you go..."

"So we're prisoners?" Annabeth huffed.

"Guests, for now. Captain, take them below. Assign them hammocks, and if they don't mind their manners, show them how we deal with enemy spies."