Chapter Twenty-Eight: Distance

"I don't know, I'm kind of conflicted."

"Conflicted?"

"Yeah."

"About what? The thing with Vicky?"

"Uh... I won't say, but it's pretty bad."

"I see."

"I know it's wrong, but for some odd reason, I can't push it out of my brain which annoys me. I also feel like I've been becoming worse and worse of a person over time. Ever since that incident with you, I haven't really been the same."

Chaewon nodded as she looked into the distance.

"Sometimes I feel like I should just isolate myself from the others to give myself a break and come back fresh."

Chaewon clenched her hand, "With all due respect, Mr. Kim, I don't think you should do that. Isolating yourself isn't healthy."

"But I'm afraid I might hurt someone if I don't."

Unable to keep herself still, the radish girl found herself rubbing the thenar webspace of her left hand with her opposing thumb.

Was I really planning on killing him today? I misjudged him... He isn't the monster I thought he was. How could I be so stupid?

A few moments of silence passed before a low sigh from Chaewon broke the silence.

"I think you should talk this out with someone. I'm sure your father would be very understanding if you reached out to him for help, no matter what it is."

Y/n smiled a small smile, nodding as he looked towards the floor.

"You're right. My dad's always been really accepting."

"If what you're worrying about is related to Minju, I think you should either not worry about it, or talk it out with her. She loves you Mr. Kim, and from what I've heard from everyone else around you, she has for a while. I find it hard to believe that she'd suddenly drop her feelings for you because of one mistake. Heck, you've already made multiple mistakes with her and she doesn't seem to have changed her view of you."

"You're right."

"I assure you, Mr. Kim, everything will be fine."

Y/n raised his head, gaining Chaewon's attention. As the two locked eyes, Y/n couldn't help but feel safe. Each and every worry from Y/n's mind disappeared as the surreptitious attraction grew.

As if he had opened his eyes, Y/n observed every minute detail in the area. The goosebumps on Chaewon's milk white moonlit skin, the slight shivers of the radish girl from the slight breeze that nipped at her nose and ears. Even the faint brown hue that her eyes gave off.

"Chaewon..."

"Hm?"

"Thank you..."

Y/n stepped forward, pulling Chaewon into a hug, startling the girl.

"Mr. Kim?"

"I really appreciate you being here for me after everything I've done to you."

Chaewon relaxed her body, eventually wrapping her arms around the older boy's torso. After a few moments, Y/n pulled away.

"We should go inside. I don't want you catching a cold."

"Yes, sir."

Although he couldn't quite put his finger on what exactly it was, Y/n knew he felt something. Once in bed, Y/n wrapped both of his arms around Chaewon's cold figure, pulling her closer to him.