25) The Duelling Club

Y/N awoke the next morning face to face with Hermione, a strand of her hair was spread over her smiling face so he pushed it gently behind her ear. However, in doing so, Hermione began to stir. She sat up slowly and rubbed her eyes.

"Morning 'Mione, sorry for waking you."

"Good morning, don't worry about it." said Hermione.

"You looked happy, did you have a good dream?" asked Y/N.

"Yes, I did." said Hermione brightly.

"I'm glad, you seemed nervous last night." said Y/N.

"It's just a bit scary." said Hermione.

"And yet you're still trying to solve the mystery." comforted Y/N.

"I guess, thanks Y/N."

"No problem."

On the bed next to them Harry was beginning to wake and there was a crashing at the door. Ron came charging in and made his way over to his friends.

"How are you two?" he asked.

"Fine." said Harry groggily

"A bit sore, but much better." said Y/N.

"Guess that's what a good night's sleep gets you." teased Ron.

Hermione and Y/N both blushed heavily.

"Anyway, did you hear what happened to Colin Creevey?" asked Ron.

"We were awake when he was brought in." said Y/N. "He'd been petrified."

"This means that the Heir has started attacking muggleborns." said Hermione shakily.

Y/N squeezed her hand and felt Hermione squeeze back appreciatively.

"Let's get on with trying to make that Polyjuice Potion then." said Ron.

() () ()

The quartet were back in Myrtle's bathroom with Myrtle herself watching them closely. They had decided that this was the best place to hide everything they were doing. The only inconvenience was Myrtle and her constant harassment of Y/N.

"You look really nice today, have you done something with you hair?" said the ghost.

"No." said Y/N rolling his eyes.

"Oh, I guess you just look that good all the time." said Myrtle. "Why don't you ditch them and visit me in my cubicle?"

"He's fine where he is." said Hermione. "Now leave us alone, we're doing something."

Myrtle disappeared from view and sobbing could be heard from her usual spot.

Harry began explaining to Ron what Dobby had told him last night as Y/N and Hermione continued to work on the potion. They tore up bundles of knotgrass and threw them into the potion. Y/N grabbed the next ingredient before Ron spoke out excitedly.

"The Chamber's been opened before! That settles it then," he said "Lucius Malfoy must've opened it when he was at school and now he's told dear old Draco how to do it. It's obvious. Wish Dobby'd told you what kind of monster's in there, though. I want to know how nobody's seen it creeping around the school."

"Maybe it can turn itself invisible." suggested Hermione. "If only we'd got 'round to that research."

In the chaos and panic of the year,    Y/N had forgotten about that agreement.