22) Deathday Party

October arrived and Y/N had made sure to sit with Hermione in every Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson since the incident. Lockhart shared glares with Y/N every lesson but didn't dare take it any further than that. Malfoy had been teasing Hermione and Y/N about what happened but made sure it was in full view of teachers or other Slytherins.

On another note the weather had been getting worse and brought along with it a bout of colds and illness which struck both staff and students. Ginny had been bullied into taking some PepperUp potion by Percy and the steam that came out of her ears made her look an awful lot like an angry bull.

However, the illness and weather hadn't stopped the awkwardly timed Quidditch sessions organised by Wood. Aside from the pouring rain, morale in the Gryffindor Quidditch team was down, Fred and George had been spying on the Slytherin team and witnessed the speed of their brooms first hand. Fortunately, Malfoy seemed as clueless as ever and reportedly had no talent as a seeker whatsoever.

Y/N and Harry were trudging through a corridor coming back from practice when they encountered Nearly Headless Nick looking unusually irritated.

"Something on your mind Nick?" asked Y/N.

"In fact there is, but it's not a matter of importance... it's not as though I really wanted to join... though I would apply, but apparently...'I don't fulfil the requirements'."

Whatever was on Nick's mind he was clearly quite bitter about it.

"But you would think." Nick said suddenly. "That getting hit forty-five times in the neck would qualify you for the Headless Hunt, wouldn't you?"

"Well n-" started Y/N before getting elbowed by Harry.

"Of course." said Harry.

"Nobody wishes more than I do that it was quick and clean, and my head would have come off properly. It would have saved me a great deal of pain. However..."

Nick looked at the letter in his hands once again before stuffing it away furiously.

"Half an inch of skin and sinew holding my neck on! Most people would think that's a proper be-heading, but no, not good enough for Sir Properly-Decapitated Podmore. The Headless-Hunts aren't any good anyways."

Nick took some deep breaths to calm himself and Y/N took the opportunity to sneak back to the common room.

"Good luck mate." he whispered to Harry.

"Wait, where... are you going?" said Harry but Y/N had already gone.

Y/N went into the common room drenched and muddy to be met by Hermione and Ron.

"Y/N! Are you alright?" asked Hermione.

"Just a bit wet that's all... and had to deal with a wonderfully cheerful Nearly-Headless Nick."

"A bit!? It looks like you had a swim in the Black Lake. You must be freezing! Take off those robes and put something drier on." ordered Hermione.

"Alright, Mum." said Y/N.

He pulled his Quidditch robes over his head revealing his abs for a moment and Hermione started staring.

Ron looked over to the two of them and chuckled at them.

"Mione. 'Mione. Uhh Earth to Hermione?" said Y/N.

"What? What? Sorry, got lost."

"See something you like?" teased Y/N.

Hermione blushed and bit her lip looking away causing Y/N to chuckle.

"I'll take it as a compliment."