5) Flying Lessons

A few days passed with nothing special happening. My hate for Malfoy and his snide comments off to the side was growing and I was realising how much I appreciated having Hermione as my best friend. We would study in the commom room together, complete homework together and generally just enjoy each other's company.

Ron still had yet to take a liking to her but it seemed as if Harry's previous opinions had changed and he began to like Hermione more. However, if an argument arose he would definitely back up Ron.

I woke up not feeling great because I had another Potions lesson with the insufferable Slytherins. It didn't help that Snape was still mistreating Harry and purposefully targeting him. Fortunately, Snape seemed to like me and because of this his anger rarely turned towards me or Hermione.

But my momentary respite was cut short as I saw a notice in the Gryffindor common room saying how flying lessons would be starting but they would be with Slytherin. I was looking forward to being able to get on a broom finally but Malfoy would probably ruin it like always. We'd just have to wait and see.

As usual Hermione was already up but she looked panicked and nervous.

"Are you alright?" I asked concerned and hurrying to her side.

"No! It's those Quidditch lessons, I don't know what's going to happen in them. I heard you can't learn how to ride a broom from a book!"

"Thank god, I thought it was something serious." I said sighing in relief and taking a seat next to her

"This is serious! What if I fail?" She snapped.

"You won't fail and even if you did, what difference does it make. It's not like you're going to play for the team anyway." I said shocked at her anger.

"I suppose you're right, I'm sorry for snapping at you."

"Don't worry about it I know you hate not being able to do something."

I placed my hand on her's comfortingly and she blushed heavily.

I quickly took my hand back not wanting to make her uncomfortable. I had to admit though it felt nice.

"Have you ever flown a broom before?" She asked with her cheeks still red.

"A couple of times with my dad when I was younger but that was a while ago. It would be quite cool to get on the team though."

"You'll have to go to the trials then, when they start. It will help you've played before as well."

"I will, just got to wait for them to come around. Today will be a pain though, Potions and then more Malfoy. He's always bragging about how great he is at Quidditch so he probably will talk more than ever."

"It is a shame really. I'd like to avoid him as much as possible." she told me

"I know, I think most people share that sentiment."

By this point the majority of people had come down from the dorms and were relaxing in the common room. I saw Harry and Ron discussing something and Harry looked rather distressed.

"Morning Y/N, can you please tell Harry that he won't embarrass himself today at Quidditch." Ron asked

"I'm afraid if I did say that i'd be lying and who would I be if I lied to my friends." I said grimly but hiding my smile

Harry's face turned sickly white and even more distressed. Hermione hit me hard on the arm and looked at me sternly.

"I'm kidding, you'll be fine mate I'm sure there's a bunch of people who have never flown before, like 'Mione here."