Chapter 22-1: A Day of Chaos

(Emerald District: River's Apartment)

Everything in the Emerald District was the same as normal. Not very lively, and only a handful of people walking around. Right now, Zack and JNPR had made their way to River's apartment. Although they got a little lost reaching the place, since most of the alleyways looked the same. It took some time, but they finally reached apartment room 362; residence of River Sticks.

"Alright, everyone. Let's make sure we're prepared." Zack said.

"Right. We knock first, and wait as long as needed. We don't want any bullet holes in our bodies." Jaune said.

"We're all going to be patient with his behavior. He's described as a random individual. So, let's be careful with how we speak with him. Nora, I'm looking at you. Can you keep your inner queen under check?" Pyrrha said in a stern tone.

Nora nodded and spoke in a calmer tone. "Don't worry, Pyrrha. I'll be mindful of my actions. However, if push comes to shove..." Nora then smirked and pulled out her Hammer. "...then I'll speak with this. Ren. Do you have the most important items?" she asked.

Ren merely nodded as he then held up several fabric-gas masks, and was wearing one over his face. "We may not be able to tolerate the horrors that await our senses in that room based on team RWBY's description. However, we can at least reduce the damage." He then handed out a mask to each of them.

"Great! Our brains are operating at 100%...no wait...they're operating at 1000%!" Zack exclaimed.

"One thousand is a bit of an exaggeration, Zack...when did you put on those glasses?" Pyrrha asked.

Looking at Zack, he was wearing some red-glasses with a little device on the right side of the frame. He then took it off and looked at it confused. "I don't know actually. That doesn't really matter now. I'm going to knock now. Get ready and brace your noses."

JNPR merely put on their gas masks, while Zack knocked on the door. Everyone could hear footsteps from the other side of the door. It then opened revealing River wearing some blue pants and a black shirt. When he saw Zack and JNPR, he immediately closed the door just a bit and peeked out of the doorway with a nervous look.

"Are you here to duel me with some strange condition?" River asked, cautiously.

"O-oh no. We're actually here on behalf of Anna and team RWBY. They had to do something else today, so they sent us here to talk with you. Name's Zackery Aegis. Nice to meet you." Zack said, holding out his hand.

River, slowly opened the door, while maintaining a cautious look, hesitantly offering Zack's handshake. Jackie then popped his head out of the doorway.

"Hey, River. What's got your attention?" he then saw the team JNPR. "Do I need to rile up the Grimm again?" he asked.

"Not...yet. We'll take the 'wait and see' approach." River said, while Jackie nodded.

Team JNPR had mixed reactions to seeing Jackie, as they were both shocked and confused to see a Grimm having a casual conversation with a Faunus. Unlike the Grimm they've encounter so far since arriving, this one was different. Most Grimm exhibit a natural presence of death or despair. However, the Jackal's presences felt, normal. Not completely normal, but it felt out of place.