Because you would have felt something, I told myself. The world shouldn't feel the same without him in it. He's still alive.

As soon as the thought had crossed my mind, Alterius spoke again.

"Do you need closure? Would that help?"

I kept my eyes fixed on the ground.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you," Alterius said in a low voice, putting his hand on the back of my neck, making me to look at him.

"That's better," he said, his cruel, emotionless eyes boring into mine. "Now tell me Safania, would you like to give him a kiss goodbye? We weren't that careful when we buried him, but I'm sure we could figure out which hole we put his head in and bring it to you."

An unearthly cry escaped from me. They hadn't just killed him, they had dismembered him. I couldn't breathe. I started sobbing uncontrollably.

"Don't cry for him. He's already dead. And unfortunately, he only suffered a fraction of the pain I wanted to cause him."

I couldn't stop. I needed Cassius. Him being gone was too much to process. Instantly, I felt a sharp stinging on my face. Alterius had slapped me. I touched my face, still warm from the slap.

"I told you to stop crying," Alterius told me evenly.

I looked at him, tears still streaming down my face. But the heaving sobs had stopped. Fear had taken over.

"I'm glad you're exactly the impulsive, hot-headed girl I pegged you as," Alterius continued. "What exactly was your plan? You would storm into the throne room, I would turn over Cassius, and you two would ride off into the sunset?"

I didn't respond.

"This is a warning Safania. When I ask a question, you will give me an answer."

"I just couldn't leave him," I replied, trying to keep my voice even.

"How brave. How loyal. And how very, very stupid," Alterius gloated. "This is why I'm so relieved I don't love anyone. Love makes people so weak and pathetic. You could have been free, off to some safe location to hide. But instead, because of love, you're here."

I dropped my gaze back to the ground. Alterius hand wrapped around my neck, cutting off my air supply. As I flailed helplessly against him, he whispered in my ear. "I told you to look at me when I'm talking to you."

He let me go, throwing me back down on the ground. I gasped for air, trying to catch my breath.

"Did Cassius know the truth about you?" he asked me.

I nodded. There was no point in denying it anymore.

"Good. You're learning. But when you answer you will say yes, your majesty," Alterius commanded.

"Yes, your majesty," I said softly, my voice hoarse from dehydration and crying.

"Do you get your powers from the sun?"

"Yes, your majesty."

"But the killing people with a glance...that's not true."

"No, your majesty."

"What can you do? That lightning was quite impressive."

"Lightning?" I asked, confused.

"You don't remember? When you found out about Cassius, a huge bolt of lightning tore into the throne room, right at you. It was truly magnificent. What else can you do?" Alterius pressed.

"I can crack apart rocks and metals," I replied, deciding not to tell him everything.

"Do you know of others? Like you?"