𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟑𝟑 { Stay The Night }

Start from the beginning

"Because Uncle rhy rhy is too busy focusing on a particular-

I elbow him in his side before taking Brias tiny hand in mine and spinning her around so the hem of the dress she wore could lift, cascading a shimmery shade of light green up and down alongside her.

A fit of giggles and snorts escape her lips.

"I think she looks forward to seeing you more than me everyday." Miles almost pouts, leaning back on the chair. I swear I saw the guy roll his eyes.

"Why wouldn't she?" I smirk, while handing her a lollipop from my pocket. Bria wasted no time unwrapping the tiny sugar stick and popping into her mouth.

"You have her for the day so sugar rush's on you." Miles warns while handing me her mini Disney inspired backpack and jacket.

"You gonna tell me what's keeping you so busy these days besides Victoria." I raise my brows.

A rare silence between us takes over. While he debates truthfully answering my question, I help Bria put on her jacket as she continues to stare at the cartoon figures on the screen while trying to bite into her lollipop, completely disregarding our presence.

"Not even a hint?" I answer for him.

"Cooking."

"What?" I absentmindedly reply.

"Cooking classes. I'm taking them." Miles repeats and suddenly everything clicks.

His early classes before regular school, asking me to babysit Bria more often not that I minded and the hundreds of mysterious possibly illegal ingredients piled on the kitchen counter, waiting to be eaten or thrown out. He was finally doing it. Pursuing his dream of being a chef and I was so fucking proud of him.

"And you didn't think to tell me sooner?" My tone deceives my excitement.

"Well it didn't look like you were gonna tell me you and Sage couldn't keep your hands off each other outside my apartment in a thunderstorm." He muses much to my dismay.

My eyes dart from my phone screen and zero in on his stupid cheesing grin that liked to appear in the worst possible times.

The idiot was watching us.

"That's not the point." I defend and easily deflect. "You could've told me. You know I would've taken Bria more often if you needed to study or practice a few extra days. You don't have to be alone in this."

"Zach." He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I can't ask you to do that. That captain spot is almost yours. You're this close to getting it and you need every free opportunity you have to prove to Benson why it should be yours in the first place." Miles responds.

He makes a point but despite all that I know him. I know Miles Brown. I know some days he's too proud to admit he needs the extra help. Even with his upbeat extra fun personality I see right through him. He's clearly exhausted trying to juggle it all. Between finishing up his last year of college as a business major, his underground fighting games that essentially pays the bills and raising Bria on his own I see a devoted father and a boy that had to grow up too quickly.

"You trying to keep me from my neice?" I question trying to lighten up the mood.

All of a sudden Bria is hugging my sides, refusing to let go and Miles sighs briefly before yawning.