Chapter Six ☽︎ Perfect Disaster, Me and You

"I wish i could freeze this moment, somehow delay my final decision, and just hang here in the balance between two places, two worlds, two loves."
-- Unknown

H U D S O N

You've got to be kidding me.

As Damon Salvatore once said, "This is my personal hell."

Kim stands a couple of feet away from me in all that Athena essence, her dark hair falling a little below her waist and her blue-green eyes focused on me. Her eyes, her hair, her legs, it's just like I remember, so pure yet so tainted, with stains of lust and droplets of passion. She shifts her gaze from me to Aaron and I quickly move my eyes to the table, but T notices me anyway.

Why aren't you drinking? She'd asked one night I took her to my frat party.

I want to be sober. I told her.

Why?

So that I can drive you home and make sure you get in bed.

You're such a softie. She'd giggled, her small arms wrapped around my torso.

Yeah, Don't tell anyone.

"So, Kim decided to hang out with us today!" Aaron claps his hands and giggles along with Liz, while smiling at her brother-in-law. "So everyone play nice," he looks to Alex, Me, T, Kevin and a couple of other guys on the team.
"Hudson come here," He calls me to the side and T gives me a look. I follow Aaron.

"So Liz is serious about getting Kim drunk tonight, and if she succeeds, I would really appreciate if you look out for Kim,"

My eyes nearly pop out of my face.
"Um....what? Why me?"

"Well, I just felt you could, you know, with the whole Alex situation," He says. "or you want me to go ask T?"

"No, no," I stop him before he gets alternate thoughts, "I'd look out for her," the words roll of my tongue.

"Thanks man," he says as he walks back to our table and to his wife.

"What was that about?" T asks as I approach the table. I don't give him an answer, instead my eyes find Kim, where she dances with Sam and they giggle. They look tipsy already.

"God no," T mutters. "You didn't tell him she's your ex?"

"I couldn't," I mutter, more to myself than him.

"You couldn't, or you didn't just want to pass up a chance to--"

"Alright thanks T, just shut up, will you?" I groan, my eyes darting to where she dances, she whispers something into Sam's ear and they both laugh.

"You're really not going to tell Aaron?" He asks.

"So that he'll blacklist me? Look, Aaron is hell bent on fixing the almost-broken relationship between his wife and sister-in-law and I'm not about to ruin that,"

"Sounds like the same lame excuse you gave her when you ended this," T whispers.

"Look if you're going to go all Therapist Stones on me, you better get out of my way," I groan.

"Chill out bro, just saying," he raises his arms in mock surrender.

"Yeah right," I mutter, suddenly feeling the urge to drink but then reminded of the fact that I have to look out for her.

Aaron finally let's go of Liz, who dances to Kehlani's Water with Kim and Sam. Nick and Bri on the other hand, are cuddling with each other, while Nick's hand rests firmly on her stomach. I used to want this, a wife, a successful hockey career and a couple of kids. But now all I have is a successful hockey career and all the other important stuff missing from my life. And seeing my teammates achieve all that makes me a little bit sad.