Ch. 7 - Loyalty

AN: Back to the present with this chapter!

"Sir," Kurono appeared in the doorway of Chisaki's office. "I've drafted the first set of bullets." His tone was slightly proud seeing as he was quick to produce.

Chisaki was seated at his desk, forehead in his hands and just a cloth mask on his face as his assistant appeared. He barely lifted his head to meet Kurono's gaze whose hood down and mask off. 
Kurono furrowed his brow at Chisaki's disdain. 

"That's good news, Chrono," Chisaki sat up all the way and leaned back in his desk chair, giving a deep sigh. 

"I...thought you'd be a bit more excited about that," he cocked his head out of confusion and walked over to his boss' desk. He placed a cartridge that held a few of the small, red, needle-tipped bullets. 

"She heard us," Chisaki rolled his eyes toward Kurono who immediately paled, not needing any time to process what his boss was talking about.

"Did you...kill her?" Kurono wondered, brow furrowing even further while trying to keep a smile from popping up on his face. Having you gone meant his "right-hand-man" spot would no longer be threatened, not that it was to begin with - your relationship with Chisaki was...different, at least to him.

"No," Chisaki shook his head, "I'm not sure what she's wanting to do now."

"What?" Kurono asked with a bit of hostility that Chisaki quickly reacted to with a look of fury. "I'm sorry, sir, but usually you'd eradicate someone who found out about one of our plots. It's not like we need her anymore anyways, so I assumed-"

"If she would like to leave, I will start the process of recovering her public information," Chisaki interrupted him before he could continue. "I will not be killing her."

"Forgive me for asking, but why?" Chisaki appeared visibly irritated by Kurono's question.

"I have no need to kill her. We can test these out on her first. If they work, she'll no longer be any type of threat." He held up the cartridge and gave it a light shake.

"But she knows..." Kurono muttered.

"She'll no longer be any type of threat," Chisaki glared at his assistant and repeated himself word-for-word. "And if she dies from the effects, then we know to continue working on this."

"I have to admit your lack of faith in me kind of stings, sir," Kurono twisted up a pathetic, nervous smile. "You don't believe the first batch will be at all effective?"

"There's a reason these types of things go through trial runs," Chisaki continued glaring up at Kurono from his desk chair. "If we get lucky, then we're lucky. If not, then I won't be surprised." The threatening tone Chisaki held made Kurono swallow hard. 

"Would you like me to go to her now?" Kurono offered. "I can test it right away."

"No," Chisaki answered quickly, standing and taking the cartridge and shoving it in his pocket. "I'll do it." 

"Right," Kurono blushed and handed over the gun specifically made for the type of bullets he had created. Chisaki nearly yanked the weapon from him and began storming out of the office, leaving his assistant stranded.

The gun was small enough to fit in his pocket, grip slightly hanging out.
He maneuvered through the hallways until he reached your room, the only place he'd figure you'd be after quite an embarrassing afternoon.

"Y/N," his voice was soft as he stood in your open doorway to find you casually reading and lounging on your bed. 

"Hi," you replied, not even bothering to look up. You had anticipated he'd have something to say at some point, so his visit was expected - hence your already open door. 
His prolonged silence caused you to close your book and glare up at him. In that silence, he had moved to the center of your room. "What do you want?"