Ch. 1 - Wraith

AN: This story won't necessarily follow the manga. It's also important for me to note that the whole thing with Eri doesn't exist.

Things hadn't always been this way: being used to create your victims' worst nightmares all at the direction of the leader of the Shie Hassaikai.  While you had agreed to be of use in any way you could considering your thoughts aligned with his, you didn't imagine how tiring it would be to see so much fear on what was beginning to be a regular basis.

You watched as your victim squirmed about on the floor, rolling themselves into a little ball as tears made a mess of their face. Chisaki Kai proudly stood by, likely smiling under his strange plague mask as he adjusted the white, latex gloves on his hands.
After a few more grueling seconds maintaining eye contact with your victim, Chisaki lifted his hand as a signal for you to stop. The weeping man in front of you shook terribly as he came out of his trance, looking frantically between you and the Yakuza leader.

"Have you decided to give us some answers?" Chisaki walked toward the man, still lying on the floor, and leaned down in his direction. "Where is he?!"

"I-I told you," the man stuttered, face paler than ever as he swallowed hard. His skin glistened under the fluorescent lights, covered in sweat and tears. "I don't know anything about the kid!" Chisaki had been desperately inquiring about a young man with an cancellation-type quirk; something that could be taken and used to create an antidote to society's "problem." Your current victim was the closest he had gotten: his university advisor.
"I promise!" The man begged as he saw the angry disappointment in Chisaki's eyes. "I've only helped him with scheduling his courses!" He cried out.

Chisaki gave a deep sigh and took a few steps back. He pinched the bridge of his nose out of frustration and waved you on to continue. You sighed yourself, painfully, before glancing back down at the man - your quirk causing him to drift back into his worst nightmare.

The man continued to writhe and scream as your hallucination quirk ate away at his sanity. He began clawing and scratching at his face as you painted quite the picture for him: his body being engulfed by flames. For him, he actually was on fire. He could feel every bit of it though he was only being injured by his own hands clawing away at his flesh. You knew, eventually, he'd die from exhaustion and panic.
To Chisaki, the man was just strangely rolling about on the ground. You, however, were forced to see your hallucinations. As a child, when you were unable to appropriately control your mutated quirk, you couldn't decipher fiction from reality. Your mentor at the time was your only solace as he assisted in refining your abilities, though you had left him behind long ago.
You now knew what was real and what was a product of your quirk, but it was still difficult to watch those suffer because of it. That's why you joined Chisaki and his mission, though not willingly at first.

"Enough!" You shouted, immediately stopping your quirk. Chisaki's body stiffened as anger coursed through his veins. You turned to look at him, making sure to stay on guard with him as you always had. Your eyes were wide as your pupils pierced his. "He'll...die if I keep going, Kai."

Chisaki's face softened at your worry, shoulders dropping to relax when he realized you weren't necessarily trying to stop him from getting what he needed. "Very well, we'll take a break for now. Chrono, return him to his restraints." He directed his assistant, a man in a white cloak with another plague mask that concealed his entire face. You dropped your gaze from Chisaki, understanding you had broken one of the very few rules he gave you.

As Kurono Hari dragged the man's fatigued body back to the metallic chair covered with chains, you and Chisaki took your leave. Your mind, as it always was, was haunted by the sight of the man's pain and horror-stricken face. Each time, you wondered how much more you could take until you were broken.