Chapter 8: Exercising Patience

Start from the beginning

"Is there anything else you need me for?"

"Nope, you're good to go. Thanks." Tony shakes his head, his focus on the suit.

"No, thank you, for making me a suit." You beam. "Don't forget to eat your pancakes, guys!" 

~~~~~~

Ready for lunch, you head out the door when you nearly bump into Tony. He stands in front of your door, ready to knock.

"Hey, Frosty." Tony's new nickname for you makes you chuckle.

"Like 'Frosty the Snowman'?"

"Something like that."

"Yeah, not your best one." You laugh, closing your door behind you as you both turn and slowly walk toward the kitchen. "Did you need me?"

"Just checking in on you." He starts. "Still feeling ok? No more pains?"

"I'm feeling great. Still a little sore, but not complaining at all."

"Oh, you're flat-lining. Call it. Time?" You scoff, laughing as you elbow Tony's arm.

"Yes, yes, funny man ... Anyway! I will be training with Loki today, and I'm excited!"

"Ah, right. Training with Rock of Ages." Tony wrinkles his nose. " I hope you don't damage that training room again. It took me all day yesterday to fix that, you know?"

"I know, I'm sorry. You can blame Loki for that. I didn't even realize I could do that."

"I blame Loki for much more than just that." He mutters in annoyance as you enter the dining room. 

You watch as Nat places the last bowl of vegetables on the table, the rest is already seated. The moment she sees you, she runs to you and squeezes you tightly.

"Oh Nova, it's great to see you back on your feet! I was so worried!" Nat has been on a solo mission since the incident so she hadn't seen you since.

"I'm okay Nat." She lets go of you, gazing at Loki.

"No thanks to that asshole over there." She snarls, but not loud enough for Loki to hear. 

"Nat, it's okay. There was a reason for it." 

"He should find a different approach, because if that happens again, mark my words, he will have to deal with my blade up close." 

"Calm down, Nat." As you gently hug her, you giggle. "You don't need to worry, now that I know how to put Loki on his ass, it's easy to replicate." You wink and Nat chuckles loudly.

After following Nat to the other side of the table, you sit down between Steve and Loki. Loki and Nat exchange glances, but Nat's expression seems to take him by surprise. Nat winks at you and walks to her own seat as you frown.

"What the hell just happened?" 

You reach over to the bowl of broccoli, and put a portion on your plate before turning to Loki.

"Would you like some broccoli?" You ask, holding the bowl out to him. He takes the bowl without saying a word to you but simply takes a portion for himself and passes it to Thor. Thor clears his throat, making some faces while nodding his head to you.

"Thank you." Loki mumbles.

"You're welcome."

"Is there a reason why you're being so exceptionally kind to me, mortal?" Loki asks. His question takes you by surprise.

You reach for the chicken that Nat is trying to pass and you sigh at his attempt to get a reaction out of you.

"I am always kind to people. You know, some of us actually want to make you feel at home."