Visits and Surprises

Start from the beginning

I smiled and took his hand.
I stopped halfway there.

He looked at me in concern.

"You're not gonna start treating me differently are you? I know you're joking now but..." I trailed off.

A huge grin broke across his face. "Of course not. You're still going to iron my drawers every other night."

I wrinkled my nose and we continued to wherever I was staying.

"Aaliyah!!"

I knew that screech anywhere.

"What is Blu doing here?" I hissed.

Alex shrugged and we met her. "Hey Blu." I said hugging her.

"Hey guys. You're grandmother said you were leaving. I can't believe you weren't going to say goodbye to me."

I hugged her again, I really would miss her. "I know. I'm sorry. I'm gonna miss you so much." I told her.

She smiled at me. "So, where are you going?" She asked me. "And what's with all the soldiers?" Her eyes widened as she actually took everything in.

I looked at Alex. He shrugged.

I took her hand and pulled her to a bench.

"Have you ever heard of the Invisible Islands?" I asked her.

"Yeah." She said excitedly. "One day I'm going to go to one of them. Once the world figures out how to get there."

I took a deep breath. "Well, I'm going."

She immediately deflated.

"What are you talking about? You're going to an unknown country. Why?"

"My mother...is queen of Solveige "

Her eyes widened. "No. Way. You said she was dead."

I nodded. "It's true. But they've been taken over. My mother's in danger. I have to go there. My grandmother lived there her whole life, until she followed me here. She thinks she can find a way to sneak us in."

"Really? This is crazy. It's like you're in some action movie. When do you leave?"

"Tomorrow morning. I'm scared. Somebody's gonna get hurt. Either our side or theirs."

Blu frowned. "Who's theirs?" she asked me.

I gave her a weird look. "The dictator of course. He has to go. We're gonna kill him and I'm going to give my mother her country back."

She smiled. "Oh! Of course."

I yawned. "It's pretty scary to think about." I said more to myself than to Blu. It sounded so easy.

Alex grabbed my hand. "Time for bed princess." He said.

"It's Panda." I corrected him.

He smiled. "Of course, Panda. My apologies."

I nodded my head. "Apology accepted." I said in a stately manner.

A weird look crossed his face. "You'd make a beautiful princess." He said softly brushing the back of his hand across my cheek.

"And you would make a lovely queen." I responded to relieve the tension.

He smiled.

"Oh, Blu." I said, suddenly remembering my friend.

But when I tuned back to say goodbye, she was gone.

Alex touched my shoulder.

"You ready?"

I shook my head. "Not just yet. I wanna check on Raul." I said.

"He's in the main tent, come on."

We walked silently across the grass.

"So, tomorrow your world will change forever." He commented.

"It appears so." I replied.

He was quiet for a moment before he asked me the question I had even thinking of. "Are you afraid?"

"Deathly." I answered.

¥

Raul was having a conference meeting with Mama Lily and the chief so I couldn't see him.

However, I did have a visitor.

"You don't need to talk to him." Alex told me.

He was right. Seeing him again would only make it worse. I didn't know why he thought seeing me was a good idea.

I peered around Alex to see Kenneth standing outside the conference tent.

"Do you want me to tell him to go away?" Alex asked me hopefully.

I laughed. "No. I'll do it."

Alex shook his head. "I'll warn you now, I've been ordered not to leave your side." He said.

I crossed my arms. "By who?"

"Head of the department of bodyguards."

I raised my eyebrows. "And who would be in charge of that?" I asked knowingly.

He puffed out his chest. "That would be me."

I rolled my eyes and walked around him to Kenneth.

I stood in front of him not saying anything.

He just stared at me. He looked like he hadn't gotten any sleep.

I touched his arm. "Kenneth, what is it?"

He lifted his hand to touch my cheek. His touch was faint as if he were afraid.

"Aaliyah, I-" he never finished. His lips crashed against mine and his arms wrapped tightly around my waist.

I kissed him back with just as much passion. I would really miss him. I knew I was hurting myself by kissing him when I knew it would be the last time.

As if reading my mind, Alex interrupted us.

"Alright. Alright. Enough of that." He said. "As her designated bodyguard, I command you to unhand her at once."
Alex demanded.

Kenneth released me but kept an arm around my waist. "But I'm not hurting her." He pointed out.

Alex glared at him. "Not hurting her?" He said. "Not hurting her?!" his voice rose. "You made her choose between yourself and something she feels passionate about. How dare you waltz in here kissing her knowing its not gonna last. Knowing that she's leaving. You're only making it harder."

To our surprise. Kenneth just smiled.

"I have a solution." He said. "How about you help me carry my bags to Aaliyah's tent."

Alex's face fell. "Bags for what?"

"Well if I'm going with you guys I need all my stuff."

I gasped. "You're coming?!" I exclaimed.

He nodded and I jumped into his arms excitedly kissing his cheek repeatedly.

Alex groaned. "I thought I got rid of him." He muttered.