ɪᴠ ɴɪᴄᴏ | ᴅʀᴇᴡ ᴛᴀɴᴀᴋᴀ ɪꜱ ɴɪᴄᴇ (ɴᴏᴛ ᴄʟɪᴄᴋʙᴀɪᴛ!)

"There's my favorite bachelor!" Drew exclaims when Nico steps out of the Hades Cabin. He carries his suit jacket in one hand and the chewed-up pillow in the other. "Whatcha got for me this time, Neeks?" she asks.

"Can you not call me that?"

"'Neeks' or 'bachelor'?"

"Both," Nico says.

"Let's be honest," Drew says. "You live in a bachelor pad with your dogs and watch trashy reality television in your free time. If it weren't for those dogs you'd still be getting up at three in the afternoon."

Nico wants to interject, but everything Drew just said is right. One thing they don't tell you about Aphrodite's children is that they can't only point out people's romantic feelings; they can also spot a single person from a mile away.

Besides, Nico likes being around Drew. She used to be the camp mega-bitch, really taking that daughter-of-Aphrodite stereotype to heart, but she grew out of it, just like Nico grew out of his dark and brooding disposition.

"Ooh, is this the jacket for Hazel's wedding?" Drew asks.

"It is if you can help me get the fur off of it," says Nico.

Drew takes the jacket from Nico and admires it. "I like it. It's a nice jacket. Good choice. Let's go back to Cabin 10 and fix it up."

"I didn't really have a choice; I'm in the wedding party."

Drew's eyebrows shoot up. "You didn't tell me that! I'm so jealous; I've always wanted to be a bridesmaid. Nobody ever picked me for some reason. Do you know who you're walking with?"

"Er, no. I only know Piper's in it for sure. Maybe Rachel? I think Hazel wanted to keep it small," Nico says.

Drew opens the door to the cabin and gestures for Nico to enter. "I love it! For Hazel, I mean. I want a big white wedding with like eight bridesmaids," she gushes, becoming lost in her fantasy even though she hasn't dated in years.

Some people think Drew is self-centered. They're absolutely right. She is. Nonetheless, Nico likes being friends with her. She always has something on her mind. She's easy to talk to.

"Honestly, I'm having trouble getting a clear read on how big this wedding is." Nico lowers his voice. "Will's invited."

"No! Really?" Drew grabs a lint roller and some duct tape and gets to work on Nico's jacket.

"Yeah, but he hasn't RSVPed by now so he's probably not coming," Nico says, looking for some confirmation that this won't be painfully awkward.

"Mmm I wouldn't count on it," Drew says. "He lives with Annabeth. She'll want to go, won't she?"

"I don't know. I haven't heard anything from either of them in years," Nico says. And then: "Wait, how do you know they're still living together? Does everybody but me know this? I seriously thought one of them would have moved out by now."

"A few weeks ago he posted a picture of a bi flag outside his apartment and captioned it 'I have the best roomie ever' and tagged 'at-A-dot-chase'. I know these things."

Nico chooses to trust Drew. She does tend to know these things.

"All done. Let me see that pillow," she says.

"Sure." Then Nico notices Drew's earrings.

"Are those... Stymphalian Bird feathers?" he asks. He feels stupid. There's no way those could be-

"Sure are! Made 'em myself. Why? Do you want something made out of feathers? Please say yes. We have so many," Drew says.

Nico shakes his head. "Maybe another time, but why do you have them? Don't feathers and things usually disappear with the rest of the monster when you kill it?"

"Not this time, I guess. Austin and I had to take out the bodies ourselves. It was gross. So gross." Drew looks really affected by that.

"Is that the only time this has happened?" Nico asks. This is getting interesting.

"Only time it's happened to me. Want some tea?"

"Sure, thanks." Maybe Drew doesn't want to talk about the monsters right now. That's okay. Nico can just ask her again later.

"Hey, Drew, can I ask you a favor?"

"Don't sound so serious. But sure, what do you need, Neeks?"

"I'm going to be in New Rome for about a week with this wedding, and I can't just leave the puppies. Mrs. O'Leary can make sure they're fed, but I need someone to practice their training with them and let them in and out of the cabin so they're housebroken," Nico explains. He knows Drew doesn't like gross things. She'll hate cleaning up their pee mats, but she's the only person he'll trust with his puppies.

"Nico! Are you asking me to puppy-sit? I'd be honored!" Drew squeals with excitement. "Thank you for thinking of me!"

"No, thank you for watching them. They need to get used to seeing a face other than mine," Nico says. "Now how's your Italian?"

Drew laughs. "Of course, the hellhounds speak Italian!"

There's a knock on the door. Drew sets her Team Jacob mug down and opens it up. "Nico, I think it's for you!" she shouts.

"Coming!"

Standing outside Cabin 10 is a handful of Camp Half-Blood's youngest campers.

"Nico, can we play with your doggies?" an unclaimed girl asks.

"Sure, c'mon everyone," Nico says. "You too, Drew! I'll show you how to take care of them!"

Things are great for Nico. He's everyone's favorite counselor. He has seven puppies that he loves dearly. His half-sister is getting married to someone he doesn't hate, and he gets to fly out to New Rome and hang out with Percy and all his old friends. For once, Nico isn't terrified of being social. Maybe Will does show up. What's it to Nico? He has Drew Tanaka on his side. Crossing her is like committing social suicide, even if she'll be the whole way across the country.