Chapter 22| Getting Comfortable

Start from the beginning

"He's fine," he mumbled. "We're making dinner."

"Hmm," I hummed, an idea popping into my head. "Make it a date," I suggested.

"What? No," he shied away. "You'll be home soon, right?"

"Actually, I might be late," I told him, watching Kai pick out a book. He didn't know it, but even through his t-shirt, his muscles rippled in his back with his every move. And might I say, they rippled deliciously.

"What-"

"Adult," I cut him off with one word.

I didn't blame him. When we had initially moved in, I had let myself become too dependent on him. Coming back to NYC had bought back too many memories and reminded me of too many broken promises. I had almost lost myself in a spiral and once again it was Griffin who took care of me. He had seen me at my worst, and he knew the cause of my spirals. His concern was pretty valid considering we had just returned from the reunion after meeting a guy who caused most of it.

So to answer my own question, yes I had been pretty volatile in my first few months back here.

"Right," he breathed. "Are you okay, Olive?"

"Yes, Griff," I lowered my voice. "I am."

"You have become too good at fooling me with that sentence," he complained. I winced lowly. No lies there. "Please, swear it on me. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm sure," I said truthfully as Kai held up the book for me to see with a huge smile on his face. I couldn't help but smile back. "I'm feeling better than ever. Trust me. Enjoy your evening and give George my love."

"Okay, I believe you," he said reluctantly. "Thanks, Olive. Take care. Call me if you need me."

"Stop worrying, Griff," I said. "I know what's going on in your head regarding me. I do. Just, trust me. And go, help your boyfriend cook."

"Ah, you really are fine," he noted, and I swear I could almost hear his smile. "It's been a while since I heard that bossy tone."

I chuckled. "Bye, Griffin."

"Bye, Liv." He disconnected the call. I pulled the phone away from my ear and dropped it back into my purse.

"Everything alright?" Kai asked as he came to me.

"Yup," I popped the 'p'. "He was just worried."

He frowned, cupping my face. "You look tired."

"I feel tired," I said honestly, holding back a yawn. Having eaten a lot, the feeling had magnified by a hundred times. "I had a lot of extra work to do. My boss is a bitch."

"Take a nap," he said, frowning slightly at the last part.

"Now?" I asked him skeptically.

"Now." He confirmed. He looked down at me, head to toe, and mumbled something under his breath before he said, "Come with me."

I could've asked 'where?' but I just followed him instead. I noticed that although it was a penthouse apartment, it was still just a three-bedroom place. It made sense considering he didn't like taking help and had always been a minimalistic person. Well, as minimalistic as it got for a multi-millionaire.

He lead me to the master bedroom, flipping on the lights as we went. He opened the door to his closet and disappeared inside, coming out moments later with a hand towel, a plain black hoodie, and a pair of sweatpants.

"Change," he ordered, holding them out to me. "Get comfortable."

I wanted to resist more, just for the sake of it, but the clothes looked inviting. I sighed, accepting them and he pointed me to his ensuite bathroom.