Chapter- 18

Meeting his eyes, she said, "Fine. Sorry 'bout that. What do you want to bet?"
"I bet you that Lee Meriweather was Catwoman in the 1966 Batman movie."
It sounded easy enough, but Massimo knew his movies. Especially ones with sexy black women in them who pioneered the way for the current generations. Women like Eartha Kitt and Lola Falana. And it was a common misconception about who played what during those ground-breaking times.
"And what are you willing to wager since you're going to lose?" Shanice asked all shameless confidence, showing almost every tooth in her mouth. She was all glowing confidence and feminine grace as she tilted her head again. But this time her almond-shaped eyes twinkled with an expression as old as Eve. Massimo laughed outright, ridiculously thrilled that she was flirting back.
Suddenly, Shanice went still.
Massimo's laugh cut off abruptly when his eyes tracked Shanice's line of sight. He almost groaned aloud. His guffaw had caught the attention of the woman working the counter. The chick proceeded to tilt her head at a saucy angle and wink his way. What was it that urged these airheaded women to flirt shamelessly with a man, even when said man had another woman at his table? Not to mention the fact Massimo wasn't paying anyone but Shanice the least bit of attention.
Totally ignoring the counter floozy, Massimo said, "Since I'm determined to see you again, when I win I get a date and a kiss, not necessarily in that order."
"And if I win?" she asked. With eyes suddenly gone shy, Shanice looked down at the fork she was playing with. The tip of her tongue left a moist trail over her bottom lip. Massimo wanted to taste her more than, than...hell, he couldn't think of a comparison just now. She made him feel untamed, wild. A lion. A predator. So high on his own testosterone he wanted to lift her onto the table and mercilessly tease her lush body until she spread her legs and yelled, "Do me now!"
"Well?" she asked.
Hell, he'd almost forgotten the question. Slowly reaching across the table, Massimo took her hand in his and gently kissed the knuckles from left to right.
"I'll wear this ugly ass neon green workout shirt for you again." Now it was Shanice's turn to laugh outright as she took her hand back.
"You're on, handsome."
Handsome. Mmm. The word sounded so different, more meaningful, coming from Shanice. She probably hadn't meant anything by it. But in time, she sure as hell would.
They shook on the bet over the table.
Shanice was giddy as a sixteen-year-old on her first date until Massimo pulled out his PDA, connected to the wireless internet connection offered by the restaurant and scooted closer to her in the booth. After a few clicks, a trip to the Wiki page for Batman 1966 proved her...wrong!
All she could do was gape at the traitorous PDA. And squeeze her thighs together when Massimo chuckled sexily, promising all kinds of unspoken naughtiness. And right there in front of anyone who cared to watch, Massimo more than made good on his word.
"Lunch tomorrow, Shanice. But I'll have that kiss now."
He scooted over to her side of the table and laid a kiss on her that started out so gentle it took her by surprise, pulling her into a sense of ease. Then he subtly upped the ante and drew her in with practised skill. Shanice didn't realize the lip lock had already blazed out of control until she was moaning into his mouth, arms twined about his neck and holding on for dear life.
And when he walked her to her car he kissed her again. Shanice wasn't sure what surprised her more, the fact that he'd kissed her again, or that she hadn't pushed him away.
"What was that kiss for? Not part of the bet," she panted.
"That one was for good measure." With that, he tucked her in, closed her door and walked away. Dayum!
"Sooo, how'd your date go?"
"First, I've been meaning to tell you off since that radio station guy called me to set this whole thing up. Second, I can't believe you set me up with the same man who came to my rescue down at the county detention centre knowing I'd have to see him at work. And third, I can't believe myself for agreeing to have lunch with him again tomorrow."
"Why lunch rather than dinner?"
"Charli, have you taken a good look at Massimo? Being alone with him at night under any level of darkness, including moonlight, lamplight or other would be too much temptation."
"Something had to happen for you to say that, Shan," Charli giggled.
"Nothing happened." Oh lord, she was stammering. No wonder Charli snorted at
her answer. Obviously, her innocent act was totally not working.
With an impatient huff, Charli prodded, "Shan, I've seen you blow off the smoothest pick-up lines from equally handsome men. For you to be this, this...itchy about Massimo, something had to go down."
"I am not itchy."
"Uh-huh. Tell it to somebody else. Now spill it, woman," Charli challenged with a
grin.
"Well, we had a little movie trivia bet and he won. The prize was a kiss. And boy did we, right there in the café. And after walking me to my car he, uh, kissed me again."
"Okaaay? Not like you haven't been kissed before."
"Yeah, but Charli, that kiss was...hell, I don't know how to describe it. Nobody's ever kissed me so..." She faltered, struggling to find words to express the connection she'd felt, the instant heat. The energy that spiked clear through to the ends of her hair. It was absolutely crazy to be this tooty over a man, any man, let alone one so much younger...and white on top of that, though she hadn't given it a second thought until just now. Good gracious, she was a mixed-up something-or-other.