Chapter- 13

She must be nuts. What the hell was she doing here waiting for a total stranger? Shanice hated to admit she'd been so engrossed in her work, she'd completely forgotten about the weird phone call from the DJ at KWQQ until one of their admins had called with a reminder of her "appointment with destiny". God, could you get any more corny? And when the radio chick rattled off what her mystery man would be wearing, at her request, of course, all Shanice could do was shake her head knowing she'd been cruel.
She checked her watch with a huff and felt the muscles in her stomach tighten. It was almost time. And though she wanted to have an attitude about the whole set-up, Shanice couldn't manage to get mad at her sister. Sure, Charli had signed her up for the stupid radio station's blind-date contest, but the woman hadn't tied her hands and feet to make her come here to meet the man. Well too late now. If there was one thing she wouldn't do, it was stand someone up. It was simply too rude. But she could get rid of the guy tactfully. And quickly.
So here she sat at a stupid Starbucks instead of sleeping in, waiting for a man dressed in one of those stretchy workout shirts done in ghastly neon green, and a pair of black and white checkered golf pants. She shuttered at the ghastly image in her mind. Well, one thing was certain- any man with enough balls to walk into a busy Starbucks at a major intersection dressed like that must be as hard-up as she was.
Shanice laughter at herself, then ratcheted back to a semi-hilarious giggle when two women at the table next to hers flashed sharp looks. She could have been embarrassed to burst out laughing in the middle of a coffee shop while she sat alone, but after the week she was having, who gave a good goddamn? The only thing on her mind was getting this over with so she could go home, curl up on the couch with her favourite faux fur blankie and get some work done. Perhaps while listening to a return of the season opener of her favourite vampire soap opera.
"And pretend not to be lonely. Damn it." Oops. She hadn't meant to say that out loud.
Shanice snuke a peek at the two ladies who'd given her the stink eye seconds before. They were no longer eyeing her. Their attention was on someone across the room. When one of the ladies mouths edged open as if she were on the verge of drooling, Shanice had to see what the hell was she looking at. Was there a life-sized piece of sculpted chocolate on display or something?
Shanice turned to look and her own lips eased apart. Oh god, this was so not happening.
There across the room, walking confidently in her direction was a man. Correction, a freakin'hot studly construction worker mountain-type man.... in a neon green stretchy workout shirt, hideous checkered golf pants. And a familiar face.