Chapter Forty Six - The Final Fight

"I'm sorry

"I'm sorry." Madeline said. She had rushed in as quickly as she could, but nothing could save Amelia now. Whatever had been in that drink had killed her.

Guests murmured and clamoured behind us.

Ace fell to his knees. Kai sobbed into his mother's cold shoulder. I just stared. I was frozen in place. Amelia was dead. The Queen was dead.

"Toria. Send the signal." Ace whispered from beside me. I looked down at him, he was glaring at his father with pure rage. Something I've never seen before, not even when he attacked me.

I didn't hesitate. The team should be in place and have everything ready. I looked toward the large window behind the stage we were all standing on. It was a beautiful garden, filled with every type of flower, freshly cut grass, and freshly shaped hedges.

I looked toward the further right corner of those hedges and put my index finger in the air.

BOOM!

I dove for the floor. Ace had yelled at Kai to duck with me. The glass window shattered from the impact of the bomb, guests wailed and screamed, all hurrying toward the closest exit.

My ears were still ringing when I stood up and looked around. The King was now on the ground. Guards were rushing to his side, helping him up and dragging him toward the nearest exit.

Before Ace and I could do anything, shots were fired.

The guards surrounding the King toppled to the ground, crimson liquid surrounding their bodies.

A familiar laugh made me avert my eyes. My team was walking in through the broken glass, guns loaded. I assumed Addilyn had been the one to shoot the guards since she was still giggling when they made it into the ballroom, glass crunching under their boots.

Guards ran toward us in every single direction. The King was now laying on the floor, motionless.

Kai had run to help guests out. The team ran over to our side.

"Ready?" I said to them. I ripped the skirt I was wearing off and tossed it across the ballroom floor.

"Ready as we'll ever be." Davina said from beside me, bringing her fists up to her face.

Guards charged at us, and we all lashed out. I ran forward, I struck the closest one's nose, he recoiled and stepped back. I took this second of vulnerability and kicked him hard in the stomach. He went flying backward.

The next one began shooting at me with their gun. I ducked, quickly reaching into my weapons belt that was no longer hidden and whipping out my stun gun. I was saving my real gun for a little later. I shot at his chest, then got onto my stomach and rolled over when one of them tried to hit my head with the butt of the gun from behind me.

I stood up and shot the guard behind me in the neck. He crumpled to the floor, dropping his abnormally large gun on the floor. I ran toward it while stuffing my stun gun back into its holster. I grabbed the gun on the floor and used it to shoot a couple more guards.

Only to realise they were holograms. The bullets went straight through them and hit the walls and chairs instead.

"Their holograms! Look for the shimmer!" I screamed. I whirled around when I felt a fist hit my already damaged shoulder. I yelled out while bringing my own fist up and punching the guard in the face. My gun had fallen out of my hands, so I had to fiddle with my weapons belt to get my stun gun out. I eventually got it out just as his fist collided with my face once again.

I didn't cry out this time, instead I looked up at him, smiled and shot his chest. I pushed him off me as his body went limp.

I took a second to focus on the three guards running toward me, guns raised. The saw the faint shimmer on them, the sunlight helped a lot. I tore my eyes away from them and stared around the room. Kai and Madeline were nowhere to be seen. Good, they were meant to be helping guests and servants out. Guards were scattered across the floor, some in pools of blood due to Addilyn's gun. She was perched on the stair railings and was shooting from there. Davina and Elijah were back to back, they also had guns in there hands, shooting at any guards who got close to them.

Asher and Luna also had guns in there hands, but they were in an odd position. Luna was on Asher's shoulders. It wasn't apart of the plan, but it gave Luna a better view and they didn't seem to be hurt.

I looked away from them to find Ace focusing on the two guards running up toward him. There was no shimmer, so I whipped out my gun and shot them both in the chest. They tumbled to the ground before him.

He stared up at me, giving me a small smile and turning to look at his father who was now waking up.

Guards continued coming in. There was so many, I didn't know if we would be able to get rid of all of them.

"What do we do Victoria? There's way too many of them. Holograms or not." Ace said from beside me as I unsheathed my daggers.

"We get rid of them. Stun darts are our best option right now if you don't want them killed." I put my gun back into the holster of my weapons belt. "Listen, if it gets too bad, get rid of as many as you can while I go to shut the ballroom doors. The guards can come in through the window, but it'll take them a while to move around all the rubble outside in the garden."

He nodded, then ran toward the group of guards surround his father. I followed behind him, bringing my daggers up and slashing one of the guards backs. He cried out and turned around. I shoved the daggers into his stomach, pulling them out and shoving him off me.

A guard had a dagger on Ace's throat, another one held his hands behind his back. With three powerful lunges toward them, I had my dagger on one of the guards throats, I sliced it open and kicked him off Ace. The knife clattered to the ground, Ace twisted out of the guards grip, whirled around, and hit him in the eyes.

I sliced open that guards throat too. The King was still behind me, slowly getting to his feet and looking around the room.

"Stay with him. Shoot him with this if you have too." I handed him the stun gun and sprinted toward the big ballroom door.

"Shut all the doors! Now!" I yelled. My team looked at me, nodded and headed for the doors. Guards still came in, but the ones who had already been fighting with us were now on the floor either unconscious or dead.

Holograms still floated around the room, running at the team. I would have to find whatever was projecting these and turn it off.

I bolted up the stairs and finally made it to the door as more guards ran into the room. I pulled my actual gun out and shot them all, not bothering to aim at any vital spots on their bodies.

I grabbed both doors and slammed them shut. I turned the massive lock and then pulled on the doors handles to double check that nobody could get in.

"Victoria! Elijah found the source of the holograms! He's turning it off!" Davina yelled from the bottom of the stairs. I looked down to see Elijah in the further right corner of the ballroom fiddling with a black box. 

"Okay good!" I descended down the stairs as quickly as my legs could carry me.

Ace, Addilyn, Asher, and Luna were all standing together in front of the King. I ran over to them and took my place next to Ace.

Footsteps came from behind us. I took a quick peek over my shoulder to see my team shuffling back, guns raised. I put a hand on Ace's shoulder, he gave me a stiff nod but didn't dare take his eyes off his father who was now on his knees and coughing.

The smoke from the bomb still lingered, but it was slowly drifting away. I took my hand off his shoulder and took a couple steps back. I joined my team and took my gun out of my weapons belt.

We all stared at Ace and the King. Ace took a deep breath through his nose, then reached down and took his father's sword which was sheathed at his side.