Chapter Forty - I can't lose her, not again.

Kai was whispering to Harrison while I kissed Victoria goodbye

Kai was whispering to Harrison while I kissed Victoria goodbye. Two days had flown by pretty fast. We had spent most of the hours we had together planning or resting. We had decided not to attack the warehouse, but we still had time.

And I was going to take it.

Kai and I made our way back to the castle. We didn't want anyone recognising us, so we kept our hoods over our heads and wore masks Victoria had given us on the way out.

We walked up to the castle gates, I pulled my hood and mask down. Kai was hesitant at first but then quickly did the same. The guards took one look at us and opened the gates for us. No surprise or sympathy in their faces.

The castle doors were opened for us upon our arrival at the gates. We walked inside and I didn't bother studying the expressions of those around us. I grabbed Kai's hand and pulled him into the nearest elevator.

++++
Kai and my mother hugged for what felt like an eternity. As wholesome as it was, I wanted answers.

"Alright, that's enough. Explain now, you've got more than enough time."

She pulled away from Kai and gave me a glare. Kai stepped away from her and took a seat on one of the velvet couches sitting in my parents room. I backed up and leaned against the wall with my arms crossed over my chest.

"Lock the door. I'll tell you everything you need to know right now."

I removed myself from the wall, clicked my tongue and twisted the lock in the door. I turned and walked back to the wall I had been leaning against.

My mother took several deep breaths and began pacing the room. Back and forth, gnawing at her index fingernail and skin. She finally stopped and sat down on the bed.

"It was never always the Sinister Seven. It was once the Eerie Eight."

I slowly took my eyes off the beautiful red carpet I had been staring at and glared at my mother who was already looking at me. A sympathetic look was on her face, but I didn't know why she decided to show any.

"When Easton first got us together-"

"Us? You were in the Eerie Eight?" I cut her off abruptly. She flinched but nodded her head.

"Woah." Kai whispered.

"As I was saying, he got us together and we all decided that we weren't going to let the King and Queen—your grandparents, let us suffer. We were all from the poor districts, our families were barely getting by since we had all failed, they had all failed the test miserably and were left in the slums."

She continued, "We starting planning a couple things when I met a boy. He was wandering around the slums when his eye caught mine. I immediately fell in love with him, not knowing I had just fallen in love with my enemy's son."