Chapter Twenty One - Blood and bullets

"Alright, well there are hidden passageways underneath the castle that were initially designed for soldiers to use when the war got too severe

"Alright, well there are hidden passageways underneath the castle that were initially designed for soldiers to use when the war got too severe. You could probably use those as a way to sneak into the castle unnoticed the night of my birthday, the ballroom will be heavily guarded, I'm pretty certain that there will be limited supervision in certain areas. I'll send you a map of the castle and where the guards will be stationed so you can form a route." Kai said.

"Thank you so much Kai." Victoria whispered, still staring intently at me, I returned the same glare.

"Wait, what time is it?" Madeline looked around the room frantically, "Quick! What time is it!"

"It's around nine thirty, why?" Elijah said as he looked at his watch.

"Turn channel five on right now!" She said, sitting up straighter.

I ripped my eyes away from Victoria's and grabbed the remote that was in front of me sitting on the coffee table. I clicked the TV on and clicked number five. Madeline's eyes widened in horror as she saw the front of the palace come into view. Nobody said anything, we all stared at the TV screen, trying to figure out what was about to happen.

Then, something clicked inside of me. The firing squad. The rebellions.

Before I could open my mouth, people were dragged into the courtyard. There were at least 50 prisoners. Their chains clinked as they walked, cuts and bruises covered their bodies. What horrified me was the children that came after. Small children and teenagers. All shackled and bloody.

The sight was revolting, but nobody looked away from it. The people were pushed down onto their knees. None of them resisted or grunted from the impact. My father stepped out of the darkness. His stupid bedazzled cane with him. He stalked to the front of the small stage, the firing squad following close behind him. Guards were everywhere.

All the people looked away; they didn't dare take a glance at Silas. My hands slowly turned to fists and my knuckles went white with strain.

"You are here because you have either rebelled against your ruler's beliefs and rules, instigated fights, protests or riots, or have failed your exam miserably. For that, you will lose your life to the firing squad. Your death will be televised, and this is a warning to everyone, try anything funny and your life will be over." My Father yelled.

Crowds started to pool around the prisoners. Guards tried to push them back, but the crowd overtook them. The crowd was silent, we were silent, my father, his guards, and the squad were silent. The prisoners held their heads up high but didn't dare say a word. They knew their fate.

My Father waved the firing squad forward and stepped back into the shadows. The firing squad stepped forward, the cameras moved away from the squad and focused on the prisoners' faces. It was remarkable, none of them showed the slightest bit of fear, no tears were shed, not even from the small children. All had scowls, frowns, or grins.