34 | Cracking the code

Start from the beginning

Jay looked disgusted. "Yeah, this'd be a great freaking time to give up. What the-?"

"Calm down, Jay," Amara placed a warm hand of hers on his chest. The keeper stopped talking and seemed to take in a heavy breath as he stared at her, calming himself down.

"I'm sorry – just tell me what happened." Jungkook leaned over the shoulder of  V to get a better look at the body on the ground.

It was Namjoon. Flat on his back, a huge gash on his forehead. Blood seeped down both sides of his head, some into his eyes, crusting there. Hope was cleaning it with a wet rag, gingerly, in a whisper too low to hear. Jungkook, concerned for Namjoon's despite his recent ill-tempered ways, turned back to Jay and repeated his question.

"Jin found him out here, half-dead, the map room blazing. Some shanks got in there and put it out, but way too late. All the trunks are burned to a freaking crisp. I suspected Joon at first, but whoever did it slammed his shuck head against the table – you can see where. It's nasty." Jay answered him.

"Who do you think did it?" Amara asked Jay, staring into his eyes.

Jay shrugged his shoulders and stared down at the body of Namjoon. "Maybe Gally before he showed up in our room in the Homestead and went psycho? Maybe the grievers? I don't know and I don't care. Doesn't matter."

"Now who's the one giving up?" Jungkook tilted his chin up at Jay.

Jay's head snapped up so quickly, Jungkook took a step backwards. "That's not what I meant, shank."

Jungkook narrowed his eyes in curiosity.  "What did-?"

"Just shut your hole for now," Jay put a finger up to his lips, his eyes darting around to see if anyone was looking at them. "Just shut your hole... you'll find out soon enough."

Amara threw the Keeper a suspicious glance, but didn't say anything – she knew he'd keep his word and tell herself and Jungkook what is going on in that head of his, if not now, then later.

Jungkook took a deep breath and thought. If he expected the other boys to be honest, he should be honest too. He decided he'd better share the theories himself; Amara and Theresa had conspired – if not himself, he knew Amara would be happy to spill the beans. "Jay, we need to tell you and Hope something and we need to let Theresa out – she's probably starving and we could use her help."

"That stupid girl is the last thing I'm worried about." Jay snapped.

Jungkook ignored the insult. "Just give us a few minutes – we have an idea."

"Who's we?" Jay asked.

"Me," Jungkook then gestured to his sister. "Amara... and Theresa." Jay looked unsure still, so Jungkook persisted. "Just come over to the slammer with me and Amara. You and Hope."

Jay looked at Amara, who rose her eyebrows at him, and thought for a second. "Hope!" he called out.

"Yeah?" Hope stood up, refolding his bloody rag to find a clean spot. It was hard though, when every inch of it was stained red with the blood of Namjoon.

Jay pointed down at Namjoon. "Let the Med-jacks take care of him. We need to talk."

Hope gave the three of them a questioning look, then handed the rag to the closest Glader, Jin. "Go and find Suga – tell him we've got worse problems than guys with buggin' splinters." Jin nodded and ran off to do as he was told. Hope stepped away from Namjoon, "Talk about what?"

Jay looked at Jungkook, but didn't say anything, obviously wanting him to answer instead of himself.

Amara rolled her eyes, "Just come with us," she said and turned and headed for the slammer without waiting for a response from any of the three boys.