Ch. 71: A Football Life (Brett/Scout)

Scout

Since Brett and I declared our feelings for each other, life changed for us entirely. For one thing, I was no longer living in that apartment and had moved in with Brett where we spend most nights "talking about football plays and moves." Plus, there was extra activities, which I will gladly decline to discuss with you although you could imagine what they were. Yet, Brett and I were very happy with this arrangement. Around the office, we were still partners finding ways to improve our team and seek more Super Bowls. Away from the office, we were dating and in love with each other.

While we weren't just settled for one championship, little did we know that had started an era that we don't think will ever be topped in the NFL in general. The next year, thanks to key signees made by us, we did something that no one else thought we would achieve. We repeated as Super Bowl champions while going undefeated. Gordon was named the league MVP and our franchise set multiple records including most points scored and fewest points allowed. Some regarded our team for that year as the best ever.

By that point, we were a respected and feared franchise and Brett and I were being revered for our success. Following our second Super Bowl title, something unexpected happened in the organization.

Brett

Mr. Eisenhower called Scout and I into his office following our second Super Bowl win and told us it was an urgent meeting. Knowing about urgent meetings, I knew this was a serious matter at hand. Something was going on.

"Please sit down," he said as Scout and I arrived to his office and took a seat. "Thank you for coming on such short notice."

"Pleasure is ours," I replied. "What's going on?"

"Well Brett, I'm getting to the point of age where I can no longer be able to adjust to the times of running a football team. Granted, I haven't always been the best owner to this franchise, but I know that I managed to save the ownership by hiring the right people. However, I feel that after the last few seasons, I am no longer able to contribute to this organization as much as I want to."

"What are you saying?" Scout asked.

"I'm saying that it's time for me to retire."

"What?" I shouted. "You can't retire."

"I know you wanted to see me keep going and helping out if I can. But, I believe the franchise will be in better hands if I go on to enjoy retirement. Don't worry. I'll still be around even if I relinquish my ownership."

I suddenly started to think about the upcoming details for what was to come. Mr. Eisenhower would announce a sale for the team and some rich billionaire would buy it. He then would possibly make choices on who the general manager should be and chances were I might be fired. I started to get antsy.

"In case you're wondering," Mr. Eisenhower continued. "I have already selected my successor."

Whoa! Mr. Eisenhower not only tells me he's retiring. He also told me he already selected a candidate to replace him and he didn't tell me this. I was really getting worried.

"Mr. Eisenhower," I asked. "Why wasn't I informed of this beforehand? Why didn't I get a say on who should be the owner?"

"Because frankly Brett, you're the person I chose."

My heart sunk. Did he just say he chose me to be an owner of the team? Oh my god! I'm an owner. An actual owner of an NFL team. Holy shit. 

I looked at Scout and we both were in shock.