Ch. 24: Indianapolis Nights (Gordon)

Over the next few weeks, I was living the best of both worlds with the Texans. On one hand, we were making some early progress. After our opening game victory over Jacksonville, we managed to pull off a 21-10 win over the Cleveland Browns at their place. Todd Sweeney would then get revenge on his former team, the Carolina Panthers by throwing for four touchdown passes as we trounced them 38-14. I was enjoying being part of an early success and the guys were really enjoying themselves.

On the other hand, I wasn't getting any playing time. Granted, I was still the third string quarterback, which meant very little chance of playing. Yet, every single week during practice, I played like I was going to be named the starting quarterback for that week's game. I was more accurate on my passes and treated every throw like it was my last. No matter how hard I tried, I knew by Saturday night, the coach would still have Todd and Chet right in front of me on the quarterback depth chart.

If it weren't for the relationships I was making with the guys on the team, I probably would've called it a career right then and there. Despite being the oldest rookie on the team, I was still enjoying time with the youngsters even if they were coming out of college. We bonded well off the field by going out to restaurants, other sports events, and even some get togethers for video games at our houses.

I even got along with some of the veterans, who really taught me the life of an NFL player. They used to be so wide-eyed on them being in the league that temptations came along. By temptations, I mean things that had more to do with money, fame, and occasions to be noticed by everyone because of your stardom and not yourself than playing football. I was never one to get noticed or be recognized as a star, which I was okay with. I just wanted the chance to play football so much I would've been playing for free. Yet, the pay was great and that was all I could ask for.

But after starting the season 3-0, we ran into trouble. First, we suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of the Buffalo Bills. Then, we blew a 24-14 lead in the fourth quarter to the Patriots before dropping the game in overtime. At that point, we were sitting at 3-2 and were starting to be reminded of how difficult it was to win in the NFL. I think some of the youngsters really took the loss to New England harder because it seemed like after we lost to Buffalo that everyone wasn't bitterly disappointed. Though we never talked about an undefeated season, the mindset was that we were good enough to win and that wasn't the best way to go about things.

After we lost to New England, the guys practiced very hard and were determined to beat our next opponent, the Indianapolis Colts at their place. As soon as our last practice was done, I could remember our defensive guys, mostly veteran Albert Stover, declaring a turning moment for our season right then and there. Once we broke the huddle, our game plan to win was set in motion.

On Saturday, the day before the game, we took a plane to Indianapolis. I always enjoyed the trips on the plane because I could relax and sometimes have chats with my teammates. On this particular trip, we were sitting on the tarmac waiting to depart. Troy was talking to some of guys. Apparently, Indianapolis was the site where he won the NCAA Male Athlete of the Year following a remarkable season at the University of Alabama. Yet, there was more to the story he told.

Preston King (Defensive Line): So this was where you won the award?

Y Smith (Cornerback): Hell, he won more than that. How's that girl of yours?

Troy Paulson (linebacker): She's fine, thank you. Now, can I please focus on my job tomorrow?

Y Smith: Come on Troy, you got to let us in on the details about that night. It was crazy.

Duncan Elliott (Tight End): Yeah, I want to know the story as well.

Troy Paulson: It's not that big of a deal.