Ch. 38: Marker (Kendra)

There was a lot of excitement on that Monday morning. I had seen Scout enter the building almost every single day and the emotions ranged from happy to sad depending on what the team did previously. But this day, I never saw him more excited than he was before.

He was humming a tune as he walked in and saw me.

"Morning Kendra," he said. "How are you this morning?"

"I'm fine," I replied. "Seems like you're in a happy mood."

"I know. My experiment went off yesterday. 404 yards passing with six touchdowns. A 49-24 thrashing of the Colts. What a memorable performance it was. I must be a genius."

"Easy Dr. Frankenstein. You do forget that football is a team game and that Brett was responsible for most of the other players being here."

Scout sighed.

"I'll let you have that one," he said. "All the same, my guy played well yesterday and if he keeps playing like he did yesterday, we might looking at the greatest quarterback of all-time."

"Oh Scout," said a voice. I turned to see Brett coming in. "You do realize it was one game. He still has yet to encounter some tough foes."

"Like who?"

"We got Tampa Bay in three weeks and they got Tom Brady at the helm. Then, we have our division opponents. So, I wouldn't even think of celebrating your life's greatest achievement."

"Oh, you think getting Gordon to our team was my life's greatest achievement?"

"You brag about Gordon every day and to be honest, it is quite annoying."

"Well excuse me m'am. But, you were the one that signed him in the first place. Not me."

Try as I could, I was unable to distract myself from the argument between Brett and Scout. It wasn't a bad argument because the two were friends. Yet, I noticed that each argument was becoming more and more flirtatious. I could tell that something was starting to brew between the two of them even if they didn't realize it. What was odd was that both of them were in relationships with other people.

Eventually, the two stopped and went back to work for which I was relieved. I was getting annoyed with those two. Sure, I liked both of them, but it seemed like they were getting to close for comfort to where any argument was acceptable as long as it didn't lead to violence. Every single day, they would always talk like they were a married couple. Brett would talk about her achievements as a general manager while reminding Scout of his one achievement. Scout would remind Brett that he also brought in the tight end while she spent time flirting with the enemy.

It got so annoying I at times thought about resigning from my post because of it. However, there were two reasons why I chose not too. First off, it was the best job I could have. I was getting paid a decent amount of money and it was enough to pay my bills while also getting a chance to work on my resume for future endeavours. The second reason was because of Rick Amaro.

I met Rick when I first arrived to Houston. Brett had invited me to a luncheon for all Houston business associates and that was where I got my first glimpse at him. For some reason, this tall, dark-haired hispanic man with muscles was staring me down from his spot in the corner. At first, I was feeling annoyed and thought he was stalking me. Yet, when Brett went over to his table because some of her colleagues were friends of his, I started to get interested in Rick's story.

He was working as an assistant to the CEO of one of the oil companies in the city. I had no idea what the job entailed, but his looks and charm were winning me over. For some reason, I decided to get to know this man more. I was free that night and so was he. So, we made plans to go out on a date. That night, we just spent a few hours having a conversation and getting to know each other at a local restaurant. However, without realizing it, we were rudely interrupted by the waitress telling us it the place was closing.