Ch. 12: Tryout (Gordon/Scout)

Scout

My last day in Ft. Davis started when I got the news that my car was fixed and ready to go. I was so happy and relived to know I wouldn't be spending another day in the town. Nothing against it and all, but I was ready to return. Yet, my excitement changed when I realized we had a Pro Day ready for Gordon. After speaking to him last night, I wasn't sure if he would show up for this day.

Getting my car back and thanking the mechanics by paying them the amount and extra, I then took off for the field in Alpine with optimism and uncertainty for how the day was going to be. Once I arrived to the field, I saw a bunch of college football players. Many of them were from the nearby university while others came from surrounding areas. I even saw some scouts from a football league that was interested in acquiring talent to help get them even a puncture's chance to make the NFL.

I gathered a tripod, iPad, and my phone because the plan was for me to record all of Gordon's activities while everyone back home was watching in Houston via iPad. I set my stuff up in the bleachers and waited for Gordon to show. In the meantime, I got to see others get a chance to show off their skills. Obviously, none of them were going to make the NFL anytime soon, but there were a few that had a slim chance.

Five minutes go by and Gordon isn't here. Ten minutes go by and Gordon hasn't shown. Fifteen minutes go by and he's still a no-show. I'm starting to wonder where he was. Maybe he's running late. Maybe he decided not to show up and not tell me. I then start to regret not even getting his phone number because I could've called him and see what was going on.

My phone rings and low and behold, it's Brett on the line.

"Hello," I say.

"Hey cowboy," Brett said on the other. "How are we looking?"

"Well, it's a beautiful, sunny day out here. Warm temperature and a lot of football being played right now. Shucks, I wish I could just secure some talent out here for us, but my worry is they won't be able to make it to the league."

"Scout, the guys you see on the field have no shot of making the league unless they have a contract with a team in Europe."

"I thought NFL Europe was no longer an option."

"Well, I'm talking about minor leagues, but that not what I'm concerned about. Where's your quarterback?"

"Well," I answer trying to come up with an excuse since I had no idea. "You see, he's..." Just then, I turn and look to see a red truck coming up. Out of the car came a man with a sleeveless red shirt and white shorts on. I breathed a sigh of relief because Gordon had arrived.

"He just arrived," I said. "I'll have everything set up in a bit." I hang up the phone and run right to Gordon. "I'm surprised you showed up."

"Well," came Gordon's response. "I had to do some soul searching last night to see if I got what it takes and here I am."

"I'm glad you're here," I answer as I patted him on the shoulder. Gordon then was looking around.

"You didn't bring any scouts with you?"

"No, I got an iPad that is livestreaming this for my guys back in Houston. So, they're watching this as we speak. What they want to see is how accurate you can throw while also having quick releases as well as dealing with pretend situations. There's no defenders except for the defensive backs, but they're focused on stopping passes. Yet, they want to determine how much you can read routes by the receivers."

"Okay," Gordon said as he was starting to stretch his arm.

"First things first, however, we need to time your 40."