Ch. 50: Friends (Gordon)

"Hey y'all," Troy shouted in the locker room as the guys were getting changed from the game. "I'm going to meet some friends of mine tonight at this restaurant. Anyone interested in coming?"

"Oh hell yeah," I heard Jermaine say.

"I'm down." Shouted Otis.

"What time?" Robert asked. "I need to be there."

"It's just at this bar down a few blocks from my place. I'll text y'all the address." Then Troy came up to me. "You're invited too Gordo."

"I really appreciate it Troy," I said. "But, I need to rest up. Took some hits today."

"Gordon," Troy rolled his eyes answering me. "You need to stop being so uptight and unsociable. If you're worried about next week's opponent, you can watch at the venue with us tonight. You need to get out more often."

"I almost got in trouble last time I went out."

"Well, this is more up your alley then. Come on bro. My friends want to meet you. Plus, my girlfriend is curious about your throwing arm. I think she wants an affair with you." Troy and I then let out a chuckle. I know he was kidding. "What do you say? Drink's on me."

I thought for a moment. As bad as my body aches after the game, I figured a perfect therapy would be to spend time with my teammates and a few friends.

"What time?" I asked.

"In a few hours," Troy said. "I'll text you the address."

He patted me on the back before departing to shower up. So, whatever plans I had for that night were canceled and replaced with new ones. I was eagerly curious. I quickly iced my arm, showered, got dress and immediately went to the bar that Troy texted me the address.

The place was packed of people when I arrived. There were a lot of Texans' shirts as well as a few of those gator shirts that Kendra had put on. Some of the people were at the game while others had heard that a few of us would be coming in to join. The way I was dressed up with jeans, a long sleeve buttoned down red and black squared shirt and cowboy boots plus a black baseball cap that you would see farmers wear, you would assume I was just a regular at the place.

As the loud music overshot us, I heard someone get on the mic.

"Ladies and gentlemen," a voice shouted. I glanced to see Jermaine with a microphone in his hand. "Please welcome your quarterback for the Houston Texans. The soon-to-be MVP. Gordon Henry."

The patrons cheered for me as I could only wave my hand despite me being embarrassed. I was not hoping to be a distraction. I had a few selfies with some of them and signed some autographs. Ultimately, Troy was able to help get me out of there and to a secluded area for us.

"Guys," he said to a table of people. "The man is in the house."

Now, you might've read a book called Bases Loaded Jam at some point. It tells the story about Troy's friends from college during their time at the University of Texas. Although the focus was on two people, needless to say, all the characters you got to know in the book were at this place. Troy introduced me to everyone of his friends. There was Huey and his wife Jordan, Jimmy and his girlfriend Stacia, Wade and his girlfriend Wilma and Troy's girlfriend Bethany and her close friend. The conversation we had went something along the lines of this.

Jimmy: It's about time we met a celebrity. I've been wanting to get an autograph from one of the players all season long.

Troy: Dude, we sent you a football with all the autographed players on it. Doesn't that count?