Ch. 39: Starstruck (Gordon)

It was one of the hardest drives I ever had to take. Having to take  your ex-girlfriend back to her place for a date she had with some random  hot Joe Schmo or whatever the guy's intelligence level was just felt  awkward to me. Yet, for all the pain I felt of being reminded of my  past, I figured that I had conquered the feelings of sadness. Yes,  Kendra broke my heart by not being honest and cheating on me. However,  in a way, I felt it was my fault for the whole thing as well.

All  the times I wished I could've been her boyfriend instead of this  football-minded person really hurt me thinking about it. I was more  focused on my future goals more so than her. There's nothing wrong with  being goal-driven. It's just that you have to find the right balance to  handle both and I didn't do a great job of that.

I returned to my  hotel room that night and started to ponder how much life was with her.  When we first me to when we had our first kiss. When we made love that  one night to when everything all went wrong. It was really one of those  moments to where I probably made the biggest mistake of letting her go  without an apology from either of us. I knew she was hurting about that,  but I was too stubborn to let her get her side of things out. I knew I  was wrong for this whole mess even if I thought I was being too faithful  to her.

All of a sudden, there was a knock at the door. I opened it to see that it was Scout right there.

"Hey superstar," he said. "You ready to bear down on Chicago this weekend?"

"I hope so," I replied with a sigh. "Just thinking about that right now."

Scout's smile turned to a look of concern. "You okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine. Just got a lot on my mind."

"Like what? Hey, I heard Kendra's car broke down and you took her home. Did she make it okay?"

"She did." I tried to answer without wanting to talk about it.

But Scout wanted to continue with the chat. "You know, I've also been meaning to ask you. Is there anything wrong with Kendra? Like, you seem to be bothered by her. Has she done anything to you?"

The way Scout was asking me this question was making it more uncomfortable. As much as I was struggling with whatever sadness I felt over Kendra, the last thing I wanted was for her to get fired all because of this. I wasn't going to get her fired, but Scout was keeping on egging me.

"If I tell you this, will you swear not to say anything?" I finally asked. "I don't want her to get in trouble."

"You have my word," Scout answered. "Now what's up?"

"Remember when I told you about a girl that sort of hurt me and had an affair with someone else while I was dating her?"

"Yeah!"

"Well..."

Nothing more needed to be said. Scout got the point and he listened as I told him the whole story. I knew Scout wouldn't go behind my back, but it was still an awkward feeling revealing your past.

After my remarkable game against the Colts in which I threw for five touchdowns and a convincing win, a lot of people were starting to become interested in me. The story of how I ended up in the NFL was catching on to everyone. Some people were already calling me the next Kurt Warner. He was an NFL Hall-of-Fame quarterback who once upon a time worked at a grocery store while pursuing his dream of playing in the league and he finally got his chance and the rest is history.

Now, I never worked in a grocery store. I did spend some time working at a bank. But, the fact that I was now living this dream of being in the NFL was really appealing to everyone who I'm sure were wondering where in the hell I came from. Sure, they remembered me from my days as a Florida Gator before everything happened and I got my scholarship removed. Still, it was nice to see that people were taking an interest in me.