Ch. 34: Offseason (Brett)

"Welcome to our destination," Luke said as we walked off the limousine and into the resort lobby.

When Luke told me he would surprise me with a vacation, I knew he would surprise me with a vacation. After his Cowboys won the Super Bowl, I knew that Luke would be so high and mighty from the win that he would want to do anything to treat me like a royal highness. I was eager to spend time with him that I didn't care where we went. We could've gone to the Sahara Desert and it still didn't wouldn't have mattered because I was with him.

So, when we landed in Aruba, I was so excited for the opportunity. It had been a long time since I went on any type of vacation that involved the beach. I had always wanted to go to a beach-type place where the resorts had rooms that overlooked the ocean or any type of pool. I had also wanted to get a feel for being proud to wear my bikini that I had brought with me to make an impression on my man.

It wasn't just the beach that I was eager to visit. I wanted to see parts of the area that were touristy. Fortunately, Luke had everything planned out. It was going to be me and him for one week with no distractions. That was all I cared about. Sure, Luke was glad to be on a Super Bowl high while all I had was a pair of offensive and defensive rookie of the years on my team. Kwame Alexander took the offensive award while Troy Paulson was named defensive rookie of the year. But, none of those awards were team-related and I wanted what Luke had in the moment.

We arrived inside the lobby and immediately, I could see Luke was being noticed. He signed a few autographs for some guests and even had a picture. I also had a few pictures with the same ones as well, but I didn't get much love and admiration like Luke was. I guess that comes with being a champion general manager. Once everything quelled down, Luke approached the receptionist, a woman who lived in Aruba for a while who gave us the keys to the room. We went up a few flights of stairs until we stopped on the third floor and walked down the hallway.

Our room was actually a suite. The rooms were decorated with pink and red roses pasted on a turquoise decoration of the wall. Each room had a TV in them while the kitchen was right next to one of the two bathrooms inside the suite. I walked out to the window and there was a balcony that overlooked the ocean. The blue water reflected the lighting from the sky. It was the most glorious thing I had ever witnessed.

I closed my eyes and imagined me in my bikini lying in the sand looking at the water. Out of the clear waves, I glance to see my man Luke coming up to me in his bathing suit from the water. He gets closer to me and I can see he's about to say. The first words he say to me are...

"Oh shit."

That broke my imagination real fast.

"What is it dear?" I said.

"I can't get the wifi password in here. Might have to do some work in this building."

"But, I thought we weren't going to think about football and just focus on us."

"I know dear, but there might be an interview or two I might have to make and I can't pass up on the opportunities. We'll do some fun things for sure."

Surely, I knew Luke was serious when he said we would do fun things and we would do so. But, for him to still have interviews and think about a little football was something that bothered me. I was also thinking about football, but not as much as he was on a daily basis. I was really down and sad by what he was doing.

I decided to go down to the beach and relax in the sun. There was a decent crowd at the beach, which included a family of four building a sand castle while two girls were posing for selfies with the waves behind them. Out on the ocean, a boat was attached to a parachute with two people going along with it's speed. I didn't mind all the company as long as I wasn't disturbed with my reading.