Ch. 26: Winning Streak (Scout)

The win over Indianapolis seemed to jump start a newfound confidence in our guys. Over the next three games, we played like we were the best team in the NFL. Against Arizona, our defense toyed around with the Cardinals' top tier receivers and talked trash to their defensive squad. Troy Paulson would outperform Arizona's new top defender, a former Texans' player himself, by recording four sacks and intercepted a pass that he returned for a touchdown. Xavier Grady would also record a pick-six in the game and both Albert Stover and Preston King each combined for a fumble recovery in the end zone. Our offense would manage a touchdown and two field goals as we clobbered the Cardinals 41-17.

A week later, Kwame Alexander nearly rushed for 200 yards while scoring twice against the Los Angeles Rams. Todd Sweeney and Jermaine Riley connected for two more scores and added a rushing touchdown himself to pick up a 38-7 win. Miami would be next to fall victim to our team as we handed them a 27-9 thrashing with Sweeney throwing for three scores. By the time we left Miami, we had entered a much needed bye week and were sitting at 7-2 and in the midst of a three-game winning streak.

Our start to the season was suddenly becoming the top story for the year. We weren't supposed to win seven games in nine weeks and yet, that's where we were. All of a sudden, the media started talking about us in a more positive light. Usually, when we were on the news, it was for how bad we were playing and rightfully so.  Now, to have the world start to consider this team a potential playoff bound team with so much expectations was something we weren't accustomed too.

Soon, there were talks about midseason predictions for major awards. Todd was being placed in the MVP conversation while Kwame and Troy were becoming frontrunners for both the offensive and defensive rookies of the year. Brett was suddenly becoming the leader in terms of the general manager of the year and she was liking it. It seemed like everyone on the team was in midst of being recognized for some major accolade.

One player who wasn't being talked about was Gordon Henry. Although he never publicly complained about not playing, I knew he was still frustrated about seeing his dream of playing in the NFL go down the drain by sitting on the bench. There were days during practice when Gordon was still playing better than Todd. Even some of the veterans were starting to take notice.

One day during practice, I overheard a couple of them speaking to each other.

Albert Stover (defensive lineman): I can't understand it. Todd plays so well in the games, but during practice, he's average. Like he's going through the motions.

Sammy Jimenez (linebacker): I know. It's like he doesn't treat practice seriously and Gordon treats it seriously. We have more fun getting to Todd than to Gordon.

Quincy Spiers (offensive linemen): But, we're winning with Todd. What can we do with Gordon at the quarterback spot? He hasn't proven anything yet.

Albert Stover: He needs an opportunity. We need to speak up as captains.

Sammy Jimenez: Coach might not like it. Last time someone tried to speak their piece was forced to run laps and got suspended for a game.

Albert Stover: I think we need to chance it. If I get suspended, boycott our next game.

Before the conversation continued, the three of them were called back to work on some blocking drills. I watched them head to their drill and started thinking about what they were saying. It was true, but I think the players were afraid to say something.

I decided to speak to Coach Robinson about the situation in his office later that day. To my surprise, he was aware of the problem that the veterans were talking about.