Chapter 19| Cold Hot Coffee

Start from the beginning

"I fell like two feet at max." I sat up with a grunt. "I'll survive. How's our arm?"

"It's hurting a little," he admitted.

"I'm so sorry, Kaison," I apologized again sheepishly. "Let me get you some ice."

"That would be great," he said with a small smile.

I nodded, padding over to the kitchen and fetching the icepack from the freezer. I glanced at the time on the clock and frowned. It was three in the morning.

"Why didn't you wake me up sooner?" I scolded him as I walked back. He removed his sling and then his shirt out of the way to put the icepack on his bare skin. He hissed a little at the impact.

"You were deep asleep," he replied, his face still contorted with a grimace. His eyes were glaring at the offending piece of ice.

I glared at him. "So what?"

"Mon amour, you need your sleep," he explained patiently. He met my eye. "You're on your period."

Yeah, I can't stay mad at that.

"Next time, wake me, okay?" I said softly.

"Hmm." He didn't answer definitely.

"Kai," I began, "I think we should go back to bed."

"Sure. In a minute," he agreed. "Your room?"

I bit my lip hesitantly.

"I don't think we should cuddle to sleep," I said reluctantly.

"Why?"

I folded my hands across my chest. "Your arm, Kaison."

"I'll be fine." He rolled his eyes.

"We're not risking it." I pulled the loose rubber band out of my hair before using it to twist my hair into a firmer bun again. He put the ice pack on the table and leaned back on the couch.

"Okay," he said tiredly.

"Okay?" I asked uncertainly. I hadn't expected him to give in so easily.

"You're right. I can't afford to hurt my arm. And I have to sleep well because Griffin is coming back tomorrow and I need to wake up on time. I also happen to have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow."

"Appointment?" I frowned. "Why am I just finding out about this?"

"I fixed it this evening when you were working," he told me.

I put my hands on my waist imposingly. I doubted it achieved its purpose when I was wearing a pair of shorts and an oversized t-shirt, looking like a mess.

I tried still. "So?"

"After that," he humored me, smiling again, "We went on doing other things like eating, watching a movie, and sleeping so I forgot."

"Kaison."

"Don't call me that," he muttered.

"What?" I frowned.

"Don't call me Kaison," he clarified.

"That's your name." I raised my eyebrows. "Everyone calls you that."

"But when you call me that it feels as if you're pushing me away." He shuddered. 

"Okay," I accepted readily. I didn't exactly fancy calling him Kaison either. Kai felt more personal and intimate. "How's your arm now?"

"Numb."

"No pain?" I asked.

"Nope."

I looked at him suspiciously. "You took your medicine, right?"