How to stop procrastinating

Many students at some point in high school have procrastinated in starting their homework, finishing off a project or studying for a test. You probably know what you should be doing but you just don't want to do it. You are overwhelmed by the enormous task or even the simplest task, you keep telling yourself that there's still time. Here are some tips to avoid procrastination.

Get organized:
You are more inclined to procrastinate if you don't have a set plan or idea for completing your work. Investing in a planner is a good idea. Start keeping track of all your assignments and their due dates. When you're organized, it gives you a more orderly and measured framework within which to work.

Say NO to distractions:
Getting rid of distractions is another tip to avoid procrastination. By limiting the number of distractions around you, you're more likely to get done what you need to do. Shut your phone off, stay away from the television and listen to soothing music (only when you're sure that it helps you).

Prioritize
Prioritizing your work and assignments is another way to help you avoid procrastination. Every week or so, make a list of what needs to be completed. Make sure you address the most critical or time-sensitive assignments first. Then work your way down the list. Get the hard stuff out of the way first, so that everything that comes after it will seem more manageable.

Set straightforward goals:
Part of the reason you might procrastinate is that what you have to do seems overwhelming. It's a lot easier to get started on a project when you establish simple, reachable goals rather than face a big, vague plan. Instead of telling yourself, "I'll study Physics tonight," you might instead say, "I'll study chapter six tonight." This makes your goals less intimidating and more attainable.

Take breaks:
Another tip to avoid procrastination is to take a break from your schoolwork now and then. Take a 10-15 minute break. Listen to music, take a walk or scream into a pillow — anything that takes your mind off of your school work and allows you to relax.

Reward System:
Rewarding yourself may create an incentive to complete a task and help avoid procrastination. After studying for a test or completing an assignment, consider rewarding yourself. It could be as simple as, Once I finish this assignment, I can watch an episode of my favourite show or chat on Facebook.

Holding yourself accountable:
Holding yourself accountable for completing your assignments on time, studying for tests and getting good grades is another tip to avoid procrastination. Tell yourself the reason why you have to get the tasks done--that's a good push. Also, remind yourself why you need to have good grades, know that you're responsible for your failure or success. If you need help in holding yourself accountable, tell a trusted friend or family member and ask them to check up on your goals, deadlines, and accomplishments.

Post by Wemsoflight