I start walking the opposite way that Eris went, heading deeper into school. A few twists and turns later I finally spot Atlantis at her locker. Now what kind of friend would I be if I didn't jump start her birthday extravaganza with a little scare? Sneaking up behind her, I slowly take in a deep breath for the loudest happy birthday ever. Just as I'm about to shout she quickly turns around, looking me dead in the eyes.

"Don't even think about it," she says with a smirk.

"Dammit," I say puffing out the gulp of air. "You never let me have any fun."

"Hey I'm just saving you from embarrassing the both of us; and saving me ear drums."

"Whatever, I already feel like the biggest fool today. No thanks to you."

"Gee, such nice words on my birthday. And what, pray tell, did I do to make such a mockery of you today?"

"You need to stop hanging out at Beth's rehearsals. I think the thespians' dramatic nature is rubbing off on you," I say rolling my eyes. "But if you must know, I just turned down a possible date with Eris."

"A possible date?"

"It's only a possible because she didn't say the word date. She said that she wanted to hang out, so there is a possibility."

"Sure..."

"Whatever! Let me have this, and sulk in peace."

"Booo, no pouting on my birthday. Besides dude, at least this gives you the chance to ask her out next time. Silver lining and all that," Atlantis says, giving me a light punch on the shoulder.

*Sigh* "Your right. At least I know that she has an interest in hanging out with me outside of school. So, there's still hope. Besides I'm going to the state championships in three days so it's probably best to focus on that for now."

"You better kick some ass out there, or I'm kicking yours," she says with a dark chuckle.

"Where would I be without your light-hearted encouragement. Anyways, we better head towards senior parking before Beth and Milo wolf-run to your place for dibs on the cake."

"Haha, okay let's-" Atlantis freezes, taking a few sniffs of the air. "Do you smell that?"

"If you're about to say that I smell like shit, then I will kick you."

"No idiot, it smells like," she takes another whiff, wondering down the almost empty hall. "Like someone made the best batch of s'mores you'll ever taste in your whole life. It's been driving me crazy all day."

"I not picking up what your sniffing," I say, looking at her confused.

Wow, you are an idiot

What, why?

Isn't it obvious? She's smelling the scent of her-

"MATE." Is the last word Atlantis says, before bolting down the hallway. I practically have to jog to keep up with her as she speeds through a series of twist and turns, like an elite tracker. After making a sharp left, I crash into her back.

"What the heck dude?" I say, rubbing my squished nose. I walk around her to see that she's staring down at someone a few feet in front of us. That person being none other the Conner Farrell, aka Grayson's younger brother. Who just so happens to be talking to said older brother, before they both turn towards us with confused looks. Well, shit. This day just keeps getting better, huh.

"Oh, h-hi Eli. Who's your friend?" Conner says, not taking his eyes off of Atlantis.

Well let's try to ease into this, I guess. "Okay, so, this might be a little weird but-" I start.