epilogue

One year later...

Cole ran down the hallway of the hospital. He hoped he made it in time. This was a huge day for his family. As soon as he made a left turn he stopped dead in his tracks. Both the Peters and the Taylor families took up the whole maternity ward waiting room.

"Did I miss it?" he asked his mom as she ran forward to hug him.

"No, you got here in time. The nurse said not much longer now."

"Calm down, Cole. You act as though this were your baby!" his sister-in-law, Kit, teased him as she rubbed her swollen belly. Leland was standing next to her, looking at her with all the love in the world. Ewen and Emma were having a baby today and Leland and Kit would follow close behind, in another two months. All of the Taylor girls were married and settled. Cole and Ryan were the only Peters boys left. All the love in the room made him want to gag. He was happy with his life. He never had trouble getting women and he never had trouble leaving them either. It was a good life while he was young.

Ewen came through the threshold of the waiting room just then with a huge grin spread across his ugly mug, "It's a boy! They're both doing great!"

A loud whoop of congratulations filled the room. Everyone hugged his brother, but Cole could tell he just wanted to get back in there with this small family.

"Have you thought of a name yet?" Molly asked.

"Work in progress," he replied as he tried to get to the door to escape and go back to his wife. Cole just wanted to laugh at the pathetic sight. "You'll be able to see him in the nursery when the nurse tells you. I want to get back in there," Ewen gushed and then made a break for it.

Kit leaned closer to Leland and kissed his cheek, "I was thinking, we should name our baby, Ellie."

"Ellie?" he asked, smiling. "What if it's a boy?" They decided they wanted to be surprised when the baby was born. Just as Ewen and Emma had done.

Remembering her dream, Kit affirmed, "It's a girl. Ellie."

"I love it," he told her sincerely as he rubbed her belly. Then leaned forward and whispered to her belly, "You have the best momma in the whole world, Ellie. I love you, baby. Can't wait to meet you."

Two months later, Kit gave birth to the most beautiful baby girl in the whole world. They did, in fact, name her Ellie.