Day 14

First Doctor, 1964, story 14, The Reign of Terror.

A LAND OF FEAR (1)
The Doctor, Ian, Barbara and Susan arrive at a destination that the Doctor assures his guests is 1960s Earth. He intends throwing Ian and Barbara out there and then, but they butter him up and convince him that they should just check to see if he has been accurate in his landing of the craft.
When they leave the TARDIS it is clear that it is Earth but they note how dark it is and that there appear to be no street lights around. While Ian investigates he finds a small feral boy in the wood. After questioning, the boy informs the travellers that they are 12 km from Paris. The Doctor states that 100 miles [sic][2] from the intended destination - whilst not perfect - is pretty good. Before they can question the boy any more, he runs off. The foursome continue to explore and eventually find an abandoned house. They split up and explore it. Barbara, Ian, and Susan begin to suspect that the Doctor has not been as accurate as he imagined when they find 18th century furniture and clothes around the house. They also find fake papers, some of which bear the signature of Robespierre, the chief orchestrator of government during the Reign of Terror in the year 1794. They deduce the farmhouse is being used as a staging post in an escape chain for counter-revolutionaries. They put on some of the clothes so as to not look conspicuous to the others when they go back to the TARDIS. Ian goes to look for the Doctor, but as he leaves he is accosted by two counter-revolutionaries named D'Argenson and Rouvray. They hold a gun to Barbara, Ian, and Susan and try to ascertain if they are loyal to the revolution or are counter-revolutionaries like themselves. They ask if they are travelling alone. Barbara replies in the affirmative. Rouvray says that this is a lie as they have found the Doctor upstairs. They assure them that he is all right, but they are still hostile to the travellers.

The impasse is ended when a band of revolutionary soldiers surrounds the house and demands their collective surrender. Instead of storming the house they wait outside, counting on the counter-revolutionaries to lose their nerve. This ploy bears fruit when D'Argenson, who has seemed nervous from the off, gives himself up, thinking that his surrender will spare him the guillotine. Reluctantly Rouvray joins him. They are both killed.

The soldiers now enter the house and capture Ian, Barbara, and Susan, thinking they are counter-revolutionaries also. They inform them that they will be marched to Paris and the guillotine. The parting action of the soldiers is to set fire to the farmhouse - unaware the Doctor is inside. The travellers stare at the house as the roof falls in and the Doctor lies unconscious on the floor.

GUESTS OF MADAME GUILLOTINE (2)
Once in Paris, Barbara, Ian, and Susan are sentenced to death for being traitors to the Revolution. They are swiftly imprisoned, with Ian put in a separate cell from Susan and Barbara. Once Ian has been dispatched, the lecherous prison warden says that he would be able to help the two girls escape, but Barbara turns this down, sensing that he would ask for a little more than the "company" he says he seeks. Susan is distraught at their predicament and confides to Barbara that she is worried about her grandfather, fearing his death.
However, the Doctor is not dead. He was saved from the blaze by the young boy that they encountered outside the TARDIS. He informs the Doctor that his companions have been taken to the Conciergerie Prison in Paris. After thanking the boy, he sets off after them.

Barbara begins to plot a way out of their cell. She notices that the wall to her cell is wet and that means that there must be some kind of sewer system below the cell. She thinks that the moistness of the wall means that with a bit of time and effort she could be able to pry one of the bricks out from the wall. She sets about doing this using one of the planks of the bed as a primitive crow bar. Meanwhile Ian has been put in a cell with a dying man by the name of Webster. Webster is also English and with his dying breath tells Ian that he has been sent over from England to find a James Stirling who has precious information that will help England fight the inevitable war with France. Webster makes Ian promise to seek out Stirling and tell him to return to England. Ian promises that he will do so; Webster then dies.