Chapter 18

He did not have the neon clock with him. Izuku felt like he was in that dark place forever, and he was starting to panic.

How long had it been? An hour? A week? A month? A year?

Everyone he knew could be dead and he wouldn't know. Except, he didn't know a lot of people in the first place, and who knows what happened to them while he was gone.

In the darkness, Izuku had nothing to do but think. Usually, he would play with his curls or fiddle with the hem of his shirt if he was bored, but he couldn't see anything right now.

With the deafening silence came the voices.

Fucking voices. They never knew how to shut the fuck up.

Can't even get out of a room? Pathetic.

Izuku had tried the lock. It wouldn't budge, no matter how long he twisted and tugged at the knob.

It doesn't matter whether or not you try, you can't. You never have and never will. It's the one thing about you that will never change.

Izuku slammed his head into his arms, trying and hoping to knock himself out by the sheer force of the hit. The only thing he got was a bruised arm and a not-unconscious self.

Not that it would help, anyways. He'd probably get a nightmare again and the damn voices would still be there. He wished he could shove each and every one of their nonexistent faces in dirt and hope they would accept his apology.

Damn, he was really going insane. Hoping that the voices in his head wouldn't be angry at him if he hurt them? No wonder people dubbed him as a weirdo.

Izuku grabbed at the sleeves of his shirt and tugged at them, almost ripping them into shreds. He couldn't stand the dark anymore.

--------------------------------------------------

Aizawa shouldered his scarf and slid the knife into his belt. He was supposed to be at the station in an hour, and he was never one to be late. He placed a bowl of cat food on the floor and slipped out of his apartment before his cat could escape with him.

It was supposed to be some kind of undercover mission, but the police would brief them further when all the heroes were gathered.

Aizawa passed by a building that seemed familiar to him.

Oh, right. This was the last place where I saw that kid.

He shook his head. The police declared Midoriya dead. He was still gone after two years, after all. Aizawa did his research. Midoriya himself told him he was quirkless, and when he looked into the records, he lived alone with his mom. A twelve year old kid wanting to die. And, by the looks of it, he was probably gone.

Aizawa's heart clenched. Sure, the kid might still be alive, but the chief didn't allow any further investigation. Dead was dead, and Aizawa was needed elsewhere. 

He walked past the building as fast as he could and swung the rest of the way with his capture scarf.

--------------------------------------------------

The doctor smiled gleefully to himself. Oh, joy! There were only a few hours left after he could operate on Midoriya-kun, and he was ecstatic.

He never experimented on a quirkless person before. Would their screams be loud as all the others? The doctor swung his legs, knocking on the wood countertop and scattering some pencils.

All For One dragged the boy in by the arm and set him in the cage. He once said before that he liked this child because he never fought back, and the doctor would appreciate that. Having the experiment struggle and move around was a nuisance to no end.

Midoriya pulled his hand to his face and stared at the metal roof of the cage. The doctor grinned at the blank look in his eyes and pulled out a sedative, just in case.

He asked Midoriya to stick his arm out. He did it without hesitation. The doctor pushed the needle into his arm and injected some of the sedative, and Midoriya's eyes started fluttering.

It was a more potent sedative, made with a quirk and very useful for keeping rowdy experiments quiet. Midoriya didn't need much, just a third of the prescribed amount. It would keep him half-conscious and hopefully, stop him from screaming like the others. The doctor's ears could only handle so much, as much as he enjoyed them. Though, it might not work as expected, seeing that this was his first quirkless experiment.

The doctor used a contraption and moved it around with a remote. The metal board slid underneath the unconscious Midoriya and raised him. The doctor moved the arrows until it was next to the surgical table, and he tilted it so Midoriya laid on it. Straps probably weren't required, but he wasn't about to take any chances.

The doctor clicked the metal locks in place and set a heart monitor into place. He needed to make sure that it didn't flatline, and All For One would not appreciate it if his masterpiece was dead.

Pulling out his finest set of tools, equipment, and drugs, the doctor rolled his chair forward and injected him with some basic quirk-made medicine. Since it was only the first day, Midoriya would only be getting some medication and some harmless drugs. The doctor also shot up some nutrients and some vitamins. Midoriya didn't have enough to provide for the experimentation.

It was only the first day. It would take at least a month before Izuku Midoriya would be finished.

So, I searched how long it took before a missing person had to be declared dead in Japan, and apparently it's seven years. But since this is a superhuman society and a fanfic, it will be one or one-and-a-half years for plot convenience.

I thought a viable reason would be that this was a society with superpowers, and also because Izuku is quirkless, the police thought that no one would have to keep him because he didn't have any useful quirk. I can guarantee Tsukauchi protested, saying that maybe Izuku had some useful skills and whatever kidnapper that captured him decided to keep him around for that reason, but it's standard protocol for the police. Hope it makes sense :) 

Also, I searched it up and apparently Nomu are made with corpses, but I found out a few days after starting this chapter, so curse my stupid brain. I am very sorry ^^;