Chapter 25: Cutie on crutches.

'Oh my, what happened to you?' Do-Yun asked immediately as you entered the creative department.
'I... fell.' You sheepishly grin at Do-Yun. 'But I can still fully function! I can still apply makeup, host meetings and guide makeup artists even with my beautiful pink cast.'
You see Do-Yun hesitating.
'Alright then Y/N. But if I notice you struggling, I'm sending you back home on sick leave.'
'Yes ma'm!' You say.
You make your way to your desk and see Dan-bi and Nari waiting for your arrival. They turn to look at you and their mouths fall open.
'Oh my god Y/N what happened?' They ask in unison and you sigh in response. Here we go again.

Today was packed full of shooting an M/V. So unfortunately, you had to work with Chan the whole day. Everyone could sense the awkwardness in the air.
'Ah alright Balam doing a good job. Maybe, apply a little more glitter at the deepest part of the scar for dramatic effect.' You are making your way past all the vanity's the idols are seated at and analyzing every makeup look.
'Y/N-Shi?' You hear coming from one of your makeup artists. 'Could you help me a little?'
'Of course Ma-Ri. What's up?'
'There's something wrong with what I did on Bang Chan-Shi's face. I just can't quite put my finger on it.' Ma-Ri looks at Bang Chan who in return, refuses to look at you. He then, looks you straight in the eyes and you feel your anger boiling up. Why hasn't he apologized? He hasn't even yet asked about your leg. Why is he looking at me so smug?
'You know what Ma-Ri? Looks great, don't worry.' You quickly make your way away from that area. 'It did not look great. She used an eyeshadow a tint too dark and now it's blending with the eyeliner making it look like a gothic mess.' You mumble to yourself. You just couldn't be near him anymore, afraid of making a snappy comment.
'Hey Y/N.' You hear behind you. You turn around to see it's Felix all finished up with his makeup. 'Did something happen between you and Chan? You're both being so awkward.'
You hesitate, but say 'No nothing happened. Don't worry, Chan and I are still great friends.' You try to show Felix the most genuine smile you could give.
'Friends huh?' Felix grins.
'What do you mean?' You ask.
Felix holds his phone up to your face, showing a news article.
"Stray Kids' leader Bang Chan and anonymous cutie on crutches were seen walking into the JYP building together after he escorted them out of the car."

'F*ck me.' You whisper underneath your breath.

'Cutie on crutches?! Couldn't they have given me a better name?' You stare at the news article.
'Hey, at least they called you cute.' Nari tries to cheer you up.
You are both standing on the sidelines of the set, watching the boys and the director do their thing.
'You're right. It's just crazy that as soon as one of the boys is seen with someone, dating rumors start to spread.'
'Well, that's the K-pop industry Y/N.' Nari chuckles.
In the background, you hear the director yelling through a megaphone 'No, no this just isn't working.'
You chuckle a little while still watching your phone 'Did one of the boys mess up the choreography again?'
You hear Nari nervously saying 'Uhmm no I don't think so.' And soon after that, you see a pair of shoes stopping in front of you.
'Nari and Y/N, could you kindly explain to me what is up with Bang Chan's makeup?' The director asks the both of you. 'He looks like he's auditioning to be a new member for the band 'KISS''
Nari talks first 'I'm sorry. I thought we double checked the makeup on all the bo-'
'It's my fault.' You interrupt her, since it actually is your fault.
The director now fully turns to you 'Then could you please fix it?'

'Okay, now look up with your eyes.' You direct Chan and he follows your instructions.
There is still a lingering awkwardness in the air but you decide to ignore it. You had to remove all the makeup Ma-Ri applied. She apologized about a thousand times to you already, but you told her it was your fault for not checking the eye makeup thoroughly.
You apply a light colored eyeshadow very gently. In the corner of your eye, you see Chan fiddling with his hands.
He takes a deep breath and goes 'Your leg...'
You subtly continue his makeup and hum at him, signaling for him to continue.
'Uhmm... Did it hurt?'
You stand up, look him deadly in the eyes and go 'Yes... Of course it hurt.'
You continue putting makeup on his lips. You notice his eyes are watering up. Is he really crying?
'Chan?' You ask trying to not sound too concerned, you're still pissed off.
'I'm sorry... that it hurt.' He forces the tears back into his eyes.
You turn him around and allow him to look at himself in the mirror, you standing behind him.
'Thanks. Is that all you're sorry for?' You ask him.
He makes eye-contact with you through the mirror, his sad expression fading into an angry frown. He stands up from the makeup chair and leaves the makeup studio.
'D*ck.' You whisper under your breath.

While shooting the M/V quickly continued, you were calling Do-Yun about the news article.
'So what do we do now? Do we ask them to remove it or something?' You ask Do-Yun.
'We'll probably bring out an official statement, explaining that you're just our new key makeup artist. But Y/N?' Do-Yun asks.
'Yeah?'
'I think it's best you're not seen with Bang Chan again. It could spark controversy.'
You feel your heart sinking in your shoes, but why? It's not like you were expecting to spend any more time with Chan.
'Yes, I understand.' You answer and hang up the call.

'Alright, everyone give a round of applause to the boys. They performed very well today.' You announce in the makeup studio and all artists give a warm applause. You notice Chan coming to stand besides you.
'And let's also give a round of applause to our lovely makeup artists for making us look beautiful.' He announces. As you look at him, and he notices, the smile on his face fades incredibly quick.

As you're removing Changbin's makeup, he asks you excitedly 'Y/N, it's now yours and Ji-Ho's turn to cook dinner. When will be a good time for us to come by?'
You're struck with the realization this probably won't be possible anymore.
'Now, I'll be honest Changbin. Because of the article of this morning, I'm not allowed to be seen in public with Chan anymore. I'm afraid the press will follow you guys to my house, or maybe notice me coming over to your dorms. It's just too risky.' You say feeling genuinely sad.
'That sucks.' He says.
You can notice Chan listening to your conversation. He keeps looking at you through the mirrors.
Changbin smirks and goes 'You know, we could come without Chan.'