7 | The Game is Afoot

Start from the beginning

Robin shrugged. Christina went on. "I need the autopsy result because I want to see if there are more details they did not disclose."

"Such as?"

"Such as-" She held her finger up- "Injuries; did she fight? Was it brutal? Are there any wounds other than the fatal blow? I want to know what wounds and where and the amount of force caused. I know that the report contains details of reenactment of the crime, I want to read it, see if I can get anything out of it, maybe get a sense of the gender, height, age category."

Robin's corner of her lips sunk down, and she nodded her head, eyebrows shot up. "Makes sense. Go on." She couldn't believe she was intrigued.

"Great. Then, I need security cameras. Were they put up or not? That's the first thing I wanted to check, but then I remembered Ms. Alby emailed about putting them up months before Violet's death. So, I have to get a tape of that night."

"Oh, yeah," Robin remembered the notice because she had thought that it would be funny to get a tape of all the compilations of Spencer jumping up when Christina caught her blowing a joint out in the hallway. "We'll find a way. That one's easy."

Christina nodded. "Yup. She loves me. I'll just bring some cookies down and talk about her for thirty minutes and we'll be in."

Robin visibly cringed. Socializing with Ms. Alby was a trip she didn't want to be sucked into.

"Third, and that's a tricky one." She inhaled a deep breath and exhaled forcefully. "it's the murder weapon."

Robin blinked.

Flashes of that night rushed through her brain. She remembered Violet's body, lying in a pool of thick blood, her head angled away, eyes distant and empty. She remembered the way her body was angled; legs bent in an awkward shape, hands on her stomach where the wound was gushing out blood.

But there was no weapon.

"I assumed it's a knife." Robin frowned.

"Exactly." Christina's eyes brightened. "It could be something else. And we don't even know where it is."

"The murderer could've thrown it away."

"Yes, but it wouldn't hurt to look. You never know, we might actually find it hidden somewhere in the building, or the trash chute, or even right outside the corner."

"After all this time? I doubt."

"Alright... and last, the live location."

Robin froze. Her conversation with detective Crane came to her like a cold whiplash. "So you had it." She straightened, feeling a tight clutch around her heart, an uneasy knot in her stomach.

Christina nodded. "Yeah, I had it. I gave it to detective Crane. It wasn't turned off."

"And? What's in it?"

"Actually, it ended a few hours before we found her. At six. So, I had a different location than our current one. She could've gone somewhere else before coming here too, I can't know. Also, get this, once the live location ends, you can't know the coordinates of the location. So, I put it on satellite option, zoomed, and here's the pin."

She put her phone up, and Robin stepped closer, bending down to see. All she could see were blurred places and roads, nothing that caught her eye.

"Not really clear."

"Right, but-" Christina turned back to her phone and zoomed out, twisting the phone back so Robin could see. "-we actually know the place when I zoom out. See the river? That's across it. That's Darwin." Her eyes hardened, and Robin slowly blinked. "So, I opened up google earth to follow the path and look where it got me." She opened her photo library to show a screenshot she took. It was a picture of a bar, the light emitted from the logo was a soft golden hue compared to the surrounding atmosphere.