33 | A Letter

AN: This chapter contains multimedia, it was so fun to create actually!

tw: mention of rape.

July 2019

JULY'S FRESH SUMMER AIR NIPPED AT Violet's cheeks in the quietude of the night, feathering her body in goosebumps.

She'd been lost in thought, gazing at the bridge miles away, its lights a sharp contrast to the darkness farther behind. The cigarette that dangled from her mouth reached its end, and it jolted her into awareness when she felt the filter burn her lips. She frowned, pulling it out and smashing it on the roof's edge, reaching for a new one.

"Thought I'd find you here." She tilted her head to catch sight of Spencer, a grin dancing on her lips as she sauntered to where she stood. She placed both palms on the edge to pull her body up and sat with her legs swinging on either side.

"Thought you were still in Burlington," Violet pointed out, flicking the lighter once to light the tip, and passing it to her.

"Ah." She waved her hand, pulling out a half-smoked joint from her pocket and lighting it. "After the bomb you just dropped on us? I'm here to save you from the wolves."

Spencer propped one of her legs up, grinding the sole of her shoe against the rough concrete. Violet recalled today's earlier events, when she introduced her, Christina, and Robin to James. She wouldn't have done it had he not ambushed her before them at the university's main gate where they'd gathered after their classes, Spencer joining them to complain about dinner. He'd been wearing a cap and sunglasses, but Christina was quick to recognize him from his voice alone, and she was pretty sure she heard Spencer hiss 'Satan's child' upon introduction.

Violet chuckled. "They'll get over it."

Christina couldn't hide her disdain, while Robin barely spared a nod of acknowledgment, catching the surreptitious look the former cast her way. It took a while for the conversation to find its footing, with Christina's confusion leading to a series of questions. Violet shook her head. Always on the offensive, that one. She had pulled James away, feigning she forgot she had plans so she could save her skin from further interrogation.

"I mean... can you blame them? Hunter's kid... I'm genuinely concerned. What do you see in him exactly?" Spencer asked, and Violet wanted to laugh but she masked her amusement with a scowl.

"I find him cute."

"Cute?" She chortled. "I bet he looked real cute standing next to the sports car Daddy Hunter bought for him."

Violet blew out smoke from her mouth, opting not to answer. There was not much she could do, pretending to argue for his sake; she knew it was out of character on her part to associate herself with what she had spent her whole life criticizing.