Same Line Over

It always went the same way, and then, eventually, it became a routine. Same old, same old. Wirt woke up, he went to make breakfast, and then he worried about Greg and Kipo and also sometimes some of the other people that went on that... 'adventure'. Sometimes, Wirt wonders of he should have gone with them, but then he finds the same feeling in himself again: the fear that Greg isn't here, and the even bigger fear that he is.

There was a lot of things to be afraid of in this new place, more than Wirt had ever imagined when he had first arrived. Wherever they were, it wasn't safe, and if Wirt's last adventure was any indication, there was danger around every corner.

...It had already taken Adam, and maybe it had taken Greg, too.

It would have been nice to take his mind off it, but there wasn't anything to do in this town. There was a library, and a theatre, and a lot of interesting people, but it would be a very strange day when Wirt went out and actually interacted with them.

A strange day like today.

Today, when Wirt went out for breakfast, he was surprised to two new people there, neither of which were Kipo, so Wirt took that to mean that the two were Fei Fei and Anne. No sooner that he had that realization that he was out of the kitchen, looking around the entire town for any sign of Kipo. But no matter where he looked: the library, the tree outside the town, even her house, but she was just gone. Even after checking the whole town a grand total of three times, Wirt couldn't find her, and eventually, he'd had to admit defeat: somehow, Kipo wasn't here. And neither were any of the people she was looking for.

Eventually, Wirt went back to find Fei Fei and Anne, hoping beyond hope that this didn't mean what he thought it meant. He felt his stomach dropping lower and lower in dread as he climbed up the steps to the community hall. Or whatever this building was.

He heard them talking as soon as he opened the door to the kitchen.

"-Yeah, this little... cat?" One of the people, Anne, Wirt guessed, said.

"I thought it was more of a dog," the other one (Fei Fei, maybe?) mumbled.

"Alright, fine, this little cat-dog thing, told us that she could help," Anne continued. "Apparently, she was a friend of Luz, one of the people that got sucked into the portal."

"She asked us to get another person to help," Fei Fei spoke up. "She needed to communicate with Kipo."

"And she needs a person do that," Anne confirmed.

Wirt paused by the door, out of the way where they couldn't see him. It technically felt like spying, it probably WAS spying... but it beat the alternative.

The person Fei Fei and Anne were speaking took so long to respond that for a second Wirt wondered if they were speaking to no one.

"...A portal?" the person, who Wirt was surprised to find was Dib, asked. "A... literal portal? To where?"

"Not home," Anne sighed. "Probably."

"Other than that, we're not sure," Fei Fei added. A tense silence followed.

"Why are you asking me to do it?" Dib asked, which was a good question, based on his personality. Why would they be asking him to help?

"Well, you were the first person we ran into," Anne told him with sarcastic cheer. Ah. That explained it.

Again, Dib didn't respond for a while. "...First of all, you both suck at telling stories. Second of all... I guess it's more interesting than things here. You mentioned there being monsters...?"

"Tell me that's not the only reason you're going?!" Fei Fei cried.

"Well, that does line up with what we know about him," Anne pointed out, but she seemed disappointed, too. "Well, as long as he's there, who cares why? Six can deal with him."