Meet Up

"Kipo, you're back!" someone cried, and Kipo looked up just in time to see Mira running towards her and wrapping her up in a hug. Kipo wheezed, Mira was squeezing the air out of her lungs. Despite that, Kipo hugged back, just as hard. "I'm so glad you're safe, you too, Mabel."

Mira drew away from him Kipo, and towards Mabel, hugging her just as tightly. Mabel, however, didn't return it as eagerly as Kipo would have expected. There was a certain look on her face...

Well, whatever. There was something else Kipo had noticed, something Mira said that rubbed her the wrong way. Kipo turned slowly away from her, to Kai and Tulip, who were following close behind. There was something off about their expressions, too.

Kipo decided to just go for it, even if she wasn't sure she'd like whatever reason they gave.

"Did something happen?" she asked them, and both Tulip and Kai looked away, each looking slightly guilty.

"...It's... a lot happened," Tulip admitted, and Kipo blinked. Judging by the state of the town... yeah, she could see that. Despite herself, Kipo felt frustration bubbling up.

"But what was it?" Kipo demanded. "What happened while we were gone?"

Tulip continued to avoid her eyes, but luckily, she opened her mouth. "Well, basically-."

"Hold on," Mira interrupted, and Kipo had to stop herself from glaring at her. "We want to know what happened to you guys, too. I... I can guess what happened to Dib, but unless you want to explain three times over then you'll wait. Besides, we need to all be together to decide... what to do next."

Kipo stared at her, thinking it over, before sighing. She was exhausted, and yet... "Yeah, you're probably right."

"Alright," Mira said. "I'll gather up every else in the town, and we'll all meet up at the community centre."

Kipo nodded, if Mira thought she was acting off, she didn't say anything. Or perhaps she understood exactly what Kipo was going through.

"You all can go on ahead," Mira told them. "You're all probably hungry, so eat something if you want. I'll meet up shortly."

With that, Mira left, leaving the small group to themselves. Kipo blinked at her retreating back. Was that really their welcoming party? True, Kipo hadn't been excepting much, but where was... No. Kipo's head completely rejecting the idea before it fully formed. At the town hall. At the meeting. That was where she'd see everyone again.

Soon.

She was surprised at how hungry she was. Before walking into the kitchen, she'd been feeling nothing, but as Coraline immediately went up and started making something, she'd found she was ravenous. So ravenous as to stand up through her fatigue and make herself and meal, and then everyone else, too. After all, she couldn't just forget all of them, could she?

Coraline blinked at her as she cooked, and then looked sheepishly down at her own unrecognizable meal. Kipo couldn't even tell what that was supposed to be, but she only shook her head and offered Coraline some of the chicken soup she had made. Coraline took it without arguing.

Kipo and Coraline passed the bowls out, but when she got to Kai, she paused, staring at him.

"Oh, Kai," she said, startled. "I haven't realized that you were... er... did you take a break from your project?"

Kai coughed on his soup. "Huh? Oh that... er, yeah, I wasn't getting anywhere on it, so I decided to leave it alone for the time being until I could think of thing, I guess?"

As Kai spoke, Kipo nodded along until he got to the last part of his explanation, where it kind of sounded like it turned into an excuse.

"You... guess?" Kipo repeated, but she shook her head before Kai could explain further. "Nevermind. I'm glad you're out. I had been worried about you."