Search and

Kipo sucked in a breath, and both she and Wirt slowed to a stop. They gave each other a wide-eyed look, and Kipo knelt down, stopping Regal in his tracks.

The House was in front of them, just a couple steps away, and painted red and orange from the setting sun. If Kipo was only looking at it, she might say that it looked peaceful and serene.

But all Kipo could feel was anticipation. There was something in The House, she was sure of it. And apparently Wirt heard it as well. With a motion to Wirt, they were both kneeling down, hiding in the long grass that surrounded The House.

"What is that?" Wirt hissed, quietly.

"I don't know," Kipo looked in the direction of the house, but while whatever was in The House couldn't see them, they couldn't see The House either. "Could be a deer-rabbit..."

"Aren't those jackalopes?" Wirt asked.

Kipo stared at him. "Is that what they're called?"

Wirt shrugged. "Jackrabbits, jackalopes, I'm not sure."

"Both of those sound better than deer-rabbit," Kipo admitted, giggling. "Let's called them jackalopes."

"Yeah, okay," Wirt agreed quickly. "So, there are jackalopes in there?"

"I don't know."

"I-."

"It could be a human, too," Kipo suddenly pointed out. "The last time someone was in The House, it was you, so maybe this could be another human!"

Wirt didn't look convinced in the slightest, but Kipo was too excited to notice.

"Maybe it's your brother, Wirt," her voice was getting louder now. Wirt looked alarmed. "And that's why I didn't see him in the tree! It's because he was here all along!"

"Kipo!" Wirt whispered frantically. "I don't think-!"

It was too late for Wirt to make any complaints, Kipo was already standing up. But just as she reached her full height, her eyes met something else's through the living room window.

Kipo immediately knelt down again.

"It's not human," she whispered frantically to Wirt.

"What?!"

"I'm sorry," Kipo whispered quickly. "It... I don't know what it was. I only saw a little bit of it."

"W-What'd it look like?" Wirt asked.

"Uh... well," Kipo thought for a minute. "I don't think I got a very good look, but... it was completely white, all over, except for it eyes, which were... black?"

Wirt frowned. "Weren't you the one who saw it?"

"Well, I didn't see that MUCH of-," Kipo's eyes suddenly widened. "Oh. Oh no."

"What?" Wirt asked quickly. "What is it?"

"I... I think it saw me, too."

"What?!"

"It was staring right at me," Kipo told him. "How could it have missed me?!"

Wirt looked nervously over in the direction of the house, as if something was about to jump out at any moment.

"Is it coming for us?!" Wirt asked her, nervously.

Kipo thought about that, frowning. "I don't know..." she answered truthfully. "But if it is, why isn't it coming for us yet?"

Wirt shrugged. "Does it matter? At least it's not-Kipo?"

"Just hide there," Kipo told him. "I don't think it knows you're here."