The Third Hunger Games (Not Really)

"This SUCKS!" Anne complained for the third time, and for the third time, Kipo had to agree. Anne stepped up to the guard again. "Look, I know disobeying your boss doesn't sound... great. And doing it for a bunch of criminals is even worse, but, uh... maybe I should have worded that better, but you got to help us! We're the good guys! Your boss is evil!"

The guard clenched their teeth, and then huffed, sticking their nose in the air. "No matter how hard you try to push your warped worldview onto me, I'll stay strong! I won't give into your twisted view!"

Anne's brow furrowed, thinking that through. "Warped worldview... twisted view..." Anne's face fell into exasperation. "I'm... pretty sure that's just empathy."

The guard huffed again, sticking their nose even FARTHER up into the air to show they weren't listening to anything Anne said.

Kipo sighed, staring at the cells as they passed. They were all darker than the hallway they were in, filled with all sorts of shadows that had scared Kipo before. But now that she knew the truth, and now that she was really looking... they didn't seem so scary anymore. They just seemed normal, like Anne, Kipo, Fei Fei and Kris. Kipo wondered what they did to get locked up here.

Suddenly, the cells disappeared, and just like that, they were only a short incline away from the gates to the arena. As they climbed, a deep nervousness settled into her stomach, but it wasn't all because of the fight... no, it was about another thing Kipo was going to try to accomplish. She just had to find the right moment...

Out of the corner of her eye, Kipo saw Fei Fei move, just slightly, and when Kipo's eyes met hers, Fei Fei gave her a reassuring smile. Kipo gave her one back. It didn't make her lose all of her nervousness, but she'd be lying if she said it didn't help.

"Hel-lo, ladies and gentlemen!" the announcer cried, and the five stopped in front of the gate. "I hope you're all doing well today and WELCOME, to the final fight of your. FAVOURITE. Team!!!"

The crowd went wild, and despite how angry Anne was before, now she seemed a little touched.

"We're their favourite?" Anne asked, sounding proud, but before anyone could reply, the announcer continued.

"That's right! With a ninety nine percent win rate, this is definitely going to be Kipo, Anne, Fei Fei and Kris' final fight. But whether they'll be walking on to be defeating the monsters out there or sitting in a cold cell for the rest of their life remains to be seen, because their next enemies happen to outnumber them... a lot."

Anne, Kipo and Fei Fei exchanged an alarmed look while the crowd screamed.

"That's right, that's right... it's the good ol' Barrel of Monkey's you all know and love, ALSO with a ninety nine percent win rate! Which of these two will win? Is less more? Is Kris' group finally outnumbered? Is ten really greater than four?"

The gate opened, and Kipo, Kris, Anne and Fei Fei stepped out, waiting anxiously for the other gate to open. The announcer was asking al the right questions, could they really beat ten people?

Kipo shook her head. Win or lose... it didn't matter. What matter was their plan, though it would probably help if they won.

The gate on the other side of the arena finally slid open, and Kipo squinted, trying to catch a glimpse of the other group. But what she saw shocked her.

"Huh?" she asked, her eyes widening.

"What the...?!" Anne bewilderly looked around, as if some person was going to suddenly show up and explain everything. "They really ARE monkeys?!"

"Who will win? Who will lose? Find out right now in THREE... TWO... ONE! GO!"

The monkeys (yes, they really were monkeys. Just monkeys) suddenly tore across the arena, and before Kipo could blink there were limbs and tiny hands crawling all over her, sending her to the ground with an oof! Kipo lifted her hands, trying to shove them off, but it felt like whenever she got one off, a million more showed up.