Chapter 18

It's been a week since the accident. A week without my brother or my best friend, but at least I have Ponyboy with me. I am walking with him to my house because I need new clothes to wear for this week. I walk into the house and walk into my room while Pony waits outside. Mom has been acting differently lately. Yeah, she still yells at me, but she always spends time in Johnny's room. Whenever I go to get clothes, I can hear her walking around. Dad is always at work now. Either that or at the bar with some broad.

I start to unpack my old bag and put new clothes in. I hear mom come down and I look up at the door, getting ready for the worst "It's all your fault," she says and points at me. "What is?" I ask backing up slightly. She breathes heavily and I can tell she is wasted. "Johnny would still be alive if you never ran off into the church!" she screams and slaps me.

I look up at her slowly while she is getting even angrier. "I want you out of my house. Pack your shit! You are gone tonight!" she screams and kicks my stomach. I gasp and double over in pain before dropping to the floor. "I'll get you boxes, have fun in the freezing lot," she laughs before walking out and slamming my door.

I cover my mouth and start crying softly. Greasers don't cry. I repeat in my head while I slowly get up. Pony comes over to my window while mom comes back and throws boxes at me "homeless freak" she says before walking out. I lock my door and I start to get my clothes inboxes. I only needed two since I don't have a lot. Pony opens my window and jumps into my room.

"Mom is kicking me out," I sigh and wipe my eyes quickly. Pony looks at me shocked as I close my first two boxes. I put my radio and my polaroid into another box. He helps me "You can live with us," he says, and I shake my head. He grabs my hands "I'll get Darry and Soda," he says then I nod. He jumps out the window and runs to his house.

I sit on my floor with boxes around me, all packed with clothes, pictures, and extra things. I look up as Soda and Pony jump into my room. I sigh and slowly get up. Soda comes over and hugs me while Pony hands boxes to Darry. I start helping the boys before I hear my parents' bedroom door close. "I will be right back," I say, and I walk upstairs.

I go into my brother's room, and I pick up his Jean jacket that's on his bed, and right before I run downstairs again, I see an envelope with my name on it. I hear my mother yelling to herself, and I run downstairs. I shove the jacket and the letter in a bag, and I look at my room before looking back at my door. Mom is coming.

"We have to go, now," I say and grab my bag before we jump out the window. We hide and I hear my mom laugh "finally!" I roll my eyes and we start to walk off with the boxes in our hands. I look around as we walk "we can bring them to the lot," I say, and Darry looks at me while shaking his head. "No, you and Pony will stay together. Soda and I will sleep in my room."

I smile "Thank you, guys," I sigh and Pony smiles at me as we walk into the Curtis house. We make out way upstairs and put the boxes on the floor. I smile and Pony wraps his arm around me while Soda smirks. "We will go so you can unpack," he says as he walks out with Darry "door stays open!" Darry yells while he walks down.

Pony sighs while looking away. I roll my eyes while I start to open the boxes. I move the clothes while looking for Johnny's jacket. I take it out and I lay it on the bed. Pony looks and stares at the jacket "Johnny's?" he asks, and I nod while looking up at him. He puts his head on mine and I cross my arms. "It would sure look good on you," he says, and I laugh while blushing.

I turn and start to unpack the rest of the boxes. I put my radio on the floor and my polaroid on the empty nightstand. After an hour of laughing and blushing, we finally finish unpacking my clothes. I sit on the bed and Pony sits next to me. "We need to get outfits for the hearing tomorrow," he mumbles, and I groan while falling back onto the bed.

 I don't want to go to the hearing. It's me and Pony Vs the Soc gang that tried to kill us. "We will be fine," Pony says and I nod while looking at the ceiling. I feel him hold my hand and I blush slightly "but we do have to go back to school soon," he says, and I roll my eyes "I know" I say and look at him "It's fine, we are in the same classes, we will survive,"