Chapter 34 - Call of the Wild

Start from the beginning

A voice pulled me from my thoughts.

"Excuse me. Are. . . are you Y/n? The one that just fought Sairaorg?"

I looked up. A group of young Devils, twelve at the oldest, had gathered around me.

"Yes, I am Y/n," I told them. "Did you need something?" I even smiled at them in case they were still. scared of the power I displayed in the fight.

"W-we . . . uh, we were wondering. Um, who's your King?"

Hm? So they think I'm a Devil? And a subordinate one at that? Well, I don't blame them; it's supposed to be a gathering for only Devils. Sure, people who've heard of me might've heard that I'm human, but there was enough time between Kokabiel and now, that to them, there was a possibility I was claimed by some young scion.

I leaned forward and whispered. "Did your parents tell you to ask me this? Or one of your older siblings?"

As soon as I said that, all the kids began to fidget. 

"Um. . . we're not supposed to, uh, tell you that," one of them said.

"Shh!" another chided. "If you say that, then he'll know for sure."

"You shush! Now he definitely knows."

Aha. I knew it.

"You know what? Forget what I said," I said. "I'll tell you. To be honest with you, I have no King."

"No King?! So are you a Rogue? Or are you your own King?"

"Neither. I was invited by a good friend."

"But how? Only Devils of prominent families are allowed here."

"Who said I was a Devil?" I retorted.

"!!!"

That shut them up.

And then the arguing started.

"Not a Devil?! Impossible!"

"He has to be lying! No human can have that much power!"

"Are you stupid? Who said he was human? What if he's a Fallen Angel?!"

"Fallen Angel?! Quick! Someone call our parents!"

Wow. Children's imagination really is something else. To go from shock to assuming the worst just because I said I wasn't a Devil, not even I could make that mental jump if I were in their position.

"Now now, children. Let's not panic," I said. "How about this? I'll clear up everything. I'll answer all your questions. How does that sound? Of course, if you want, you can go back to your families."

The children looked at each other. A moment later they all huddled together.

Hushed voices and quick glances in my direction every now and then. Someone raising their voice and then immediately getting shushed by the rest. A few even making an early decision and scampering back to their parents.

You know, typical kid meeting stuff.

A few minutes later, they split off into two groups, one larger than the other. The larger group said a few words, shook their heads, and went back to their families. The smaller group debated for just a bit longer, but in the end stayed together. They approached me cautiously.

"Deal," their spokesperson said.

I smiled. "Great. Now gather 'round."

The kids sat in a circle around me.

"Now, let me tell you a story. . ."

Koneko POV

It can't be. It can't be. It can't be!