Chapter 5 - I'm not like most girls

Start from the beginning

I quickly make my way to the kitchen to grab another glass of water as I feel my head pounding. I'm afraid I might have an episode, so I need to keep myself hydrated. Before I'm out of the room though, I stop when I hear his voice.

''You should thank Bennett.'' I look at him with a curious expression. What does he know? ''He drove you home, don't you remember?''

''Sure, of course I do.'' He doesn't seem to buy it.

''I met him when he was coming down the stairs. He stayed for a while after you fell asleep. He wanted to make sure you had all you needed and wouldn't need help. He said you weren't feeling well. Was it a migraine?"

Oh, so that's what he thinks happened. He thinks I was sick, not drunk. It explains why he's not lecturing me right now.

''No, I guess it was just something I ate that didn't sit well with me.'' He nods. 

"He's such a nice guy, don't you think?'' My dad then says, changing the focus entirely and my eyes dart to him.

He narrows his eyes at me and for a second, it crosses my mind that he might think that Bennett and I are a thing. What other reason would he have to bring my drunk ass home and stay around?

Even if my dad doesn't know the real reason.

''He was just being nice, dad. That's Bennett, you know he's a gentleman.''

''That he is.'' He smirks and I don't know where he wants to go with this conversation, but I'm not staying here to find out.

''Lilly is coming over, so I... uhn, I should get my room cleaned."

That's the lamest excuse I could possibly give. I never clean my room when Lilly is here - I barely clean my room at all - so he knows I'm just avoiding the topic.

As I sit on my bed and wait for Lilly, a thought crosses my mind.

My dad and Lilly are out of their minds to think that Bennett could potentially be interested in me.

It's just crazy.

Isn't it?

.........................

"Why did you say you care about me?" I ask Bennett on Monday morning before our Chem class starts.

"What?" He looks up at me, confused.

Ok, maybe I should say hi or good morning first instead of just dropping the question, but I spent yesterday discussing the topic with Lilly.

We both agreed that I should talk to him today and clarify whatever happened.

Lilly sees it as Bennett finally opening up on his own way and that's why I shouldn't let that go. As for me, I don't really know what to think.

"On Saturday, you said you care about me. Why?"

He looks around as if he doesn't want people to hear our conversation. Not that anyone would. They are too busy with their own stuff.

"Because I do." He shrugs. "I've known you my entire life, Alex. You're practically my family, even if we don't particularly get along anymore."

I nod, not really convinced with his explanation.

"Thank you. You didn't have to do that."

"It's not a big deal, I was just helping a friend, nothing more."

I give him a weird smile, thinking if I should ask him if there's any other reason why he helped me, but he said there isn't. Lilly is wrong, there is no other reason.